Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

tbrisach
New Contributor

How to see the most bandwidth consuming session

Hi,

I am searching for a command or a api call to see exactly which session is consuming the most bandwidth at a very moment.

This is not the session tab in the Fortiview, which shows the most data transfered since starting.

This would be helpful if the WAN Bandwidth is completely filled up and I need to know which client is doing this. The bandwidth per interface can be seen with the interface widget but it does not show the correlated sessions.

Does anybody has an idea how to do so?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Tobias

8 REPLIES 8
AnanNara
New Contributor

Use the following commands in CLI to view the Per-IP bandwidth uilization in the GUI under "System -> Dashboard -> Per IP Usage"

Please refer the output in GUI.

Prior entering the commands, please create a new Dashboard name as "Per IP Usage"

config system admin
      edit "your login ID"
  set vdom "root"
   config dashboard
                  edit 0
                     set widget-type per-ip-usage
      set tab-id 6
                     set column 1
                     set refresh-interval 60
      set resolve-host disable
                     set display-format table

[FirstName][JobTitle]
[FirstName][JobTitle]
tbrisach

Dear Anand,

nice one, thanks alot!

But this only works for 5.4, right?

Is there a command on the cli for 5.2 or 5.0?

Tobias

AnanNara

The commands that I provided works pretty well in 5.0.x as some of devices are runing in this version and it really helps to view the IPs that are consuming more bandwidth. Though the command is being accepted in 5.4, it does not display in the GUI, so i would recommend for 5.0.x version.

[FirstName][JobTitle]
[FirstName][JobTitle]
tbrisach

I see.

So there is no way to see bandwidth per session in 5.2 and 5.4?

That's uncommon, it is no unusal information, is it?

Tobias

AnanNara

From 5.2.x and above, you need to depend on the Fortivew

[FirstName][JobTitle]
[FirstName][JobTitle]
tbrisach

But FortiView does not show this,either...

It only shows the amount of traffic in a session not the actual bandwidth. The Interface widget shows it but not per session.

:(

So, no debug command? No API call? Why not?

Tobias

AnanNara

You can view real time bandwith utilization in the Fortivew but it does not display the top bandwidth IP, it just displays all the IPs and you need to figure out or filter by going through at a glance.  

[FirstName][JobTitle]
[FirstName][JobTitle]
tbrisach

You are right: in 5.4 I can use the FortiView. But not in 5.2.

Best Regards

Tobias