Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

PerRose
New Contributor

Hardware performance analytics in FAZ

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty sure all of us have encounted scenarios where we wonder how our hardware is performing in our solutions.

• How much CPU do we use over time?
  • Is there enough memory in our systems?
  • Do we cap any specific physical interfaces?

Etc etc. This data would be great to have in the FAZ, right? I mean, implementing SNMP functionality into the FAZ could conquer a lot of other products if it's already built in the solution I want for my Fortigates anyway.

Or what's your opinion on this?

Yours sincerely,
Per
6 REPLIES 6
SatiVeer
Staff
Staff

Hi Per - We have event logs that the FortiAnalyzer generates to enable this for you. 

Please try System Settings > Event Log to look at specific events with Sub Type = diskquota. That should enable to see all the events around the disk usage over time.

For all the FortiAnalyzer events pls take a look at below to help filter the events you'd like to zoom into.
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimanager/6.2.1/log-message-reference/207089/fortianalyzer-log... 

These events can then be leveraged for better historic reporting from the Reports module in FortiAnalyzer. 

For a quick snapshot you can for e.g. see in System Settings > Dashboard widgets around:
  • System Resource Usage for last 24 hrs
  • Disk I/O Utilization for last 24 hrs
Pls do let us know.

------------------------------
Satish Veerapuneni
Director of Products & Solutions
-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: 08-28-2019 02:50
Subject: Hardware performance analytics in FAZ

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty sure all of us have encounted scenarios where we wonder how our hardware is performing in our solutions.

Etc etc. This data would be great to have in the FAZ, right? I mean, implementing SNMP functionality into the FAZ could conquer a lot of other products if it's already built in the solution I want for my Fortigates anyway.

Yours sincerely,
Per
Satish Veerapuneni Director of Products & Solutions
PerRose

Sorry about that.. I was a bit unspecific in my post.. I meant ofcource the hardware usage data from Fortigates in my environment.
rmock_FTNT

This sizing and CPU utilization really depends on your deployment and traffic patterns, usage, and what is being logged. Feel free to share more information on the deployment.
PerRose

I'm not talking about it like that. I want classic SNMP graphs like you can get in Observium, Nagios, OP5 etc. Showing hardware usage over time,​​
SatiVeer

If you need something as a canned report - leverage "360 Protection Report" in FAZ. We have charts around 'Disk Utilization for Fortigates" etc. that you are asking for.

As customers have one of the SNMP servers like Nagios etc. We also provide tons of hooks like SNMP traps etc. in our products to enable them easily. 

Pls reach out to us privately with your best contact details and we'll have someone in our team directly follow up with you. 

Thanks for asking and being a valued customer.

Satish Veerapuneni
-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: 08-30-2019 01:24

I'm not talking about it like that. I want classic SNMP graphs like you can get in Observium, Nagios, OP5 etc. Showing hardware usage over time,​​
Original Message:
Sent: 08-30-2019 00:50

This sizing and CPU utilization really depends on your deployment and traffic patterns, usage, and what is being logged. Feel free to share more information on the deployment.
Original Message:
Sent: 08-29-2019 02:49

Sorry about that.. I was a bit unspecific in my post.. I meant ofcource the hardware usage data from Fortigates in my environment.
Original Message:
Sent: 08-28-2019 16:23

Hi Per - We have event logs that the FortiAnalyzer generates to enable this for you. 

Please try System Settings > Event Log to look at specific events with Sub Type = diskquota. That should enable to see all the events around the disk usage over time.

For all the FortiAnalyzer events pls take a look at below to help filter the events you'd like to zoom into.
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimanager/6.2.1/log-message-reference/207089/fortianalyzer-log... 

These events can then be leveraged for better historic reporting from the Reports module in FortiAnalyzer. 

For a quick snapshot you can for e.g. see in System Settings > Dashboard widgets around:
  • System Resource Usage for last 24 hrs
  • Disk I/O Utilization for last 24 hrs
Pls do let us know.

Satish Veerapuneni

Original Message:
Sent: 08-28-2019 02:50

Hi Everyone,

Yours sincerely,
Per
Satish Veerapuneni Director of Products & Solutions
PerRose

I've had a couple of customers not having any SNMP Server inhouse prior to me getting there with the Fortigate solution. For these customers IT usually costs money and they even hesitate on buying the FAZ to start with. With some more leverage including SNMP collection it would be awesome. 
But I guess it's not in scope of the product and won't be for long either. I guess it's just me who would love to have the reports including this kind of data.