Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

JackTemi
New Contributor

AP832i Setup

Hey All,
Just purchased 3x AP832i online had having some issues getting them to talk to the Fortigate VM that I set up to test it all.
Idealy I would prefer to set them up in a standalone mode, but I don't think that is possible. Please correct me if I am wrong.
If anyone would be able to point me into the right direction in how to get these setup that would be greatly appreciated.
Jack

------------------------------
Jack [LastName] [Designation]

[CompanyName]
[City] [State]
1 REPLY 1
jbattam_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Jack,

The AP832i is an ex-Meru AP. It is not a Universal AP hence cannot be managed by FortiCloud or FortiGate. It can only be used with a Fortinet Wireless LAN Controller.
If you need a Fortinet Wireless Controller VM (FWC-VM) please let me know and i can share the latest image for VMWare/Hyper-V or KVM. Alternatively you can download these via our customer support portal if you have access.

They don't really have a stand-alone mode. But you can configure site-survey mode from the AP CLI which enables a single bridged ESS on 2.4GHz and 5GHz + DHCP (the AP's will need to be on a current firmware version for this feature). Once it has booted into site survey mode you can set the SSID on the 2.4GHz/5GHz radio, channel, power levels and enable/disable DHCP. That's about it. It's not really design for client access but would work if you want basic access and couldn't deploy a controller for the APs.

Kind Regards,

John Battam
CSE - Wireless APAC
Fortinet
Sydney NSW
-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: 08-02-2018 19:16
Subject: AP832i Setup

Hey All,
Just purchased 3x AP832i online had having some issues getting them to talk to the Fortigate VM that I set up to test it all.
Idealy I would prefer to set them up in a standalone mode, but I don't think that is possible. Please correct me if I am wrong.
If anyone would be able to point me into the right direction in how to get these setup that would be greatly appreciated.
Jack

Jack [LastName] [Designation]

[CompanyName]
[City] [State]
John Battam
Principal CSE - Wireless/IAM International Region
Fortinet
Sydney | Australia
CWNE #327
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.