Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

ScotLibo
New Contributor

Transparent inline detection of port channel (aggregation) with Virtual Wire Pairs

Hello,

I am wondering what support there is for a Transparent Inline deployment of a port-channel. The Fortigate will not take part in the port-channel, other than sitting inline to do UTM inspection (AV, IDPS, etc.).

I know that the FG can do Port Aggregation and I know that it can do Virtual Wire Pairs, but I cannot find documentation to support the two concurrently.

i.e. If I simply have two VWPs with the same AV/IDPS policy, will the FG group the two streams of traffic?

e.g. Load Balancer(LB) <> Fortigate(FG) <> Router(RTR)

VWP1 = FG-port1<>FG-port2
VWP2 = FG-port3<>FG-port4
Port-Channel = LB-port1/2 || RTR-port1/2

LB-port1 <> FG-port1 || FG-port2 <> RTR-port1
LB-port2 <> FG-port3 || FG-port4 <> RTR-port2

If part of my stream goes over VWP1 and the other part over VWP2, does the FG separate that traffic for inspection? What does blocking look like as compared to a single VWP without port channeling?

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.