Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

SeanCunn
New Contributor

SDWAN and internet breakout

I have two direct internet connections provisioned for a branch site. I have configured the SDWAN using IPSEC tunnels to link the branch back to the HQ. Currently all internet traffic is routed via HQ over the SDWAN interface.

Is it possible to allow local internet breakout without adding additional links? And where is this configured? I can't find this scenario in the cookbook.

Cheers
9 REPLIES 9
PeteChen
Staff
Staff

Hi Sean,

Like with anything else on the FortiGate there are various ways to accomplish this.
However, if you want the local breakout traffic to leverage the SD-WAN controller, I suggest adding the parent physical interfaces of those two IPSEC tunnels (for example WAN1 & WAN2) as SD-WAN members. Next, create Performance SLAs to reachable targets on the Internet with these two interfaces as participating members. Finally, create explicit SD-WAN rules with those two interfaces as part of the rule. Hope this helps.
SeanCunn

Thanks Peter, I think that makes sense. I will give it a go.
ChriSieb

Did this ever work for you? I am building out Internet Breakout as well now, and have tried Peter's suggestions but still must be missing something. Also, I assume you are making this work with NAT on the policy as well?
PeteChen

You may need two different sets of LAN -> SD-WAN policies (Policy & Objects -> IPv4 Policy). One for the underlay WAN links with NAT and two (VPN in and VPN out) for the overlay VPN tunnels going to an internal address range without NAT.

-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: 12-30-2019 17:39
Subject: SDWAN and internet breakout

Did this ever work for you? I am building out Internet Breakout as well now, and have tried Peter's suggestions but still must be missing something. Also, I assume you are making this work with NAT on the policy as well?

Original Message:
Sent: 08-07-2019 03:49

Thanks Peter, I think that makes sense. I will give it a go.
Original Message:
Sent: 08-06-2019 17:52

Hi Sean,

Like with anything else on the FortiGate there are various ways to accomplish this.
However, if you want the local breakout traffic to leverage the SD-WAN controller, I suggest adding the parent physical interfaces of those two IPSEC tunnels (for example WAN1 & WAN2) as SD-WAN members. Next, create Performance SLAs to reachable targets on the Internet with these two interfaces as participating members. Finally, create explicit SD-WAN rules with those two interfaces as part of the rule. Hope this helps.
Original Message:
Sent: 08-06-2019 10:44

I have two direct internet connections provisioned for a branch site. I have configured the SDWAN using IPSEC tunnels to link the branch back to the HQ. Currently all internet traffic is routed via HQ over the SDWAN interface.

Is it possible to allow local internet breakout without adding additional links? And where is this configured? I can't find this scenario in the cookbook.

Cheers
ChriSieb

Thanks Peter for the quick reply. I have separate IPV4 policy rules for SDWAN vs. local internet breakout. There is something basic missing here. I'll do some digging and update if I find anything.

Chris

------Original Message------

You may need two different sets of LAN -> SD-WAN policies (Policy & Objects -> IPv4 Policy). One for the underlay WAN links with NAT and two (VPN in and VPN out) for the overlay VPN tunnels going to an internal address range without NAT.
PeteChen

What issue are you currently seeing?
ChriSieb

I am trying to ping a local WAN gateway via underlay from the Fortigate LAN interface through WAN interface ( to emulate local LAN traffic). Ping is not working. Basically:

LAN-----[FG1,NAT]---------underlay-[WAN Gateway]

Pretty simple, SDWAN tunnels are up.

What issue are you currently seeing?
PeteChen

If you policies are in place, then the next thing I'd look at would be the routing and then SD-WAN rules.
It's possible that due to SD-WAN rules the pings are trying to go out the overlay tunnels which would probably be a no go.

Good luck.
ChriSieb

That's where I'm heading. Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Chris Sieber | NFV Services

NTT Global Networks

m: +1.303.828.7549

o: +1.720.475.4107

csieber@nttglobal.net

If you policies are in place, then the next thing I'd look at would be the routing and then SD-WAN rules.
It's possible that due to SD-WAN rules the pings are trying to go out the overlay tunnels which would probably be a no go.

Good luck.