Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

Luiz_Alberto_Camilo
New Contributor III

FGT and FAC MAC Bypass

Hi there,

As Far as I understood, when I'm using 802.1x and a Switch, when the workstation hits the switch port, the switch will forward a 802.1x packet to Fortiauthenticator. 

But when I'm using a Fortigate with 802.1x and Fortiauthenticator, when the workstation hits the Firewall, the Firewall will trigger authentication based on some protocols, for example, if I try to browse to some website, the webpage will get re-directed to a Fortigate Authentication login page and at this point no 802.1x packet is forwarded to the fortiauthenticator. 

I'm trying to use Fortuauthenticator as 802.1x with MAC authentication Bypass. I basically need to centrally manage MAC addresses with 802.1x and bypass printers, and non standard devices. When those devices hits fortigate, fortigate wouldn't send 802.1x packets to Fortiauthenticator until it types a username and password. 

Does someone knows if Fortigate can do "port authentication" ? similar to a switch ? 

I have another threat to this subject here : https://fusecommunity.fortinet.com/p/fo/st/thread=8426

Any information is apreciated. 

Luiz Alberto Camilo
Solutions Architect

Luiz Alberto Camilo NCT São Paulo www.nct.com.br NSE-5 Expert

Luiz Alberto Camilo NCT São Paulo www.nct.com.br NSE-5 Expert
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.