Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

AliHaider
New Contributor

Correlating Firewall Logs end to end

Hello,

I would like to know how multiple FortiGate logs for one flow can be traced back. 

e.g. External IP hits Public NAT IP on Fortigate (log 1), this is then DNat to internal IP, which is then in turn SNat to another external IP (log 2). What unique field can I used to match these two logs (session ID? event time?) within the FortiGate Logs. 

addtionally, does FortiSIEM support NXlog agent forwarding logs in any format?

BR,
Ali

1 REPLY 1
simonai
New Contributor III

Hi Ali

I once did that a long time ago with Splunk, if I remeber correctly there we used the Session ID to match the logs of a WAF to the original IPs masked by the Fortigate in front of it.

Regards
Simon-------------------------------------------
Original Message:
Sent: Sep 22, 2022 09:00 AM
Subject: Correlating Firewall Logs end to end

Hello,

I would like to know how multiple FortiGate logs for one flow can be traced back. 

e.g. External IP hits Public NAT IP on Fortigate (log 1), this is then DNat to internal IP, which is then in turn SNat to another external IP (log 2). What unique field can I used to match these two logs (session ID? event time?) within the FortiGate Logs. 

addtionally, does FortiSIEM support NXlog agent forwarding logs in any format?

BR,
Ali