Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
wseaton
New Contributor

xferring config: same model but different OS

I have a client with a 100D that's functioning perfectly, but things happen and we want to build out some in the box redundancy just in case. They do a lot with the unit; DHCP, lots of port running in interface mode to keep their network segmented. Be a royal pain in the you know what if the unit went down having to manually reconfig all that mess.

My plan: get another used 100D which are now selling for a couple hundred bucks, and xfer the config. That way I have two units on the rack with one proven spare in case bad things ever happen.  Obviously some things wont transfer like certs, but I'm assuming everything else including DHCP, reservations, etc will move. What about of the units have drastically different OS versions?

2 REPLIES 2
jhussain_FTNT

Hi,

Please note that you cannot upload the configuration back up from one version to the box running with  different Fortios version. You can use tools like Forticonverter to convert the configuration file to the version running on the new box.

Regarding the 100D, you can install the same firmware version running on the production device to the backup device with default configuration and  copy the 'config-version' in the configuration of default version, and paste this value and replace in the backup of the production configuration file and upload in the standby device. Kindly refer the below document.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-load-convert-a-FortiGate-configurat...

Regards

Jamal

sw2090
Honored Contributor

you can upload the config but no one will guarrantee you that it will be complete nor work.

Safe path would be to bring the "new" spare 100D to the same FortiOS Version the other one runs and then xfer the config. Then - if neccessary - upgrade it again accoarding to the upgrade path specified by fortinet.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors