Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FortiAdam
Contributor II

local-in denied UDP multicast traffic flooding logs

I prefer to log all my local-in denied traffic but it seems that fortinet has changed the way they log this. On earlier versions of 5.0.x I never had all this denied UDP multicast traffic in the logs. Does anyone have an idea of how I can block this local-in multicast denied traffic silently instead of having thousands of extra lines of log? I would prefer not to have to completely disable local-in-deny logging. date=2014-08-12 time=09:44:39 itime=1407854679 logid=12 type=traffic subtype=multicast level=notice vd=root devid=xxx status=deny trandisp=noop srcip=192.168.x.x srcport=17500 dstip=255.255.255.255 dstport=17500 service=17500/udp proto=17 duration=0 policyid=0 sentbyte=426 rcvdbyte=0 sentpkt=3 srcintf=internal dstintf=wan1 sessionid=0 dstcountry=Reserved srccountry=Reserved
6 REPLIES 6
Benoit_Rech_FTNT

Hello, this is a known issue on FortiOS 5.2 and an enhancement should be introduced in Forti 5.2.1. New CLI commands will be added to differentiate the traffic: unicast or broadcast (include multicast). Bug reference is 231272. Unfortunately, there is workaround except disabling the ' local-in-deny' Benoit
FatalHalt
Contributor II

Ben10, The same issue is happening in 5.0.x for us, will there be a patch to 5.0.x to fix this?
Schuler
New Contributor

Hello Adam, with version 5.0.x the following settings helped me a lot. It' s a bit strange that " multicast" logging affects broadcasts, but it works.
 config log fortianalyzer filter
    set multicast disable
 end

or
 config log disk filter
    set multicast disable
 end

Regards, Sebastian
FortiAdam

Thanks for the suggestion Sebastian! I' m testing this in a few places and getting good results.
FortiAdam
Contributor II

Is anyone aware of any dependencies for the fortianalyzer filter function? I have some firewalls that don' t seem to have that option although I am using a fortianalyzer. Running 5.0.7 in all instances.
FortiAdam
Contributor II

In working with Fortinet support it was determined that you must have the first fortianalyzer in the config set to enabled and have upload option set to " realtime" in order to see filter options even if they aren' t related to the first fortianalyzer in the config. I was working in an environment where I had fortianalyzer2 enabled but not fortianalyzer and didn' t get the option for filtering until fortianalyzer was enabled as well.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors