Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kinmun
New Contributor II

high memory usage of FG300D

recently my FG300D memory is always above 75%. it event hit 80%.

previously, it will go above 70% for a while and then return to 60% range.

how it stays constant at 75%.

firmware version 5.2.2

should i reboot the FG300D?

how to check what resources to are taking up the memory

5 REPLIES 5
kinmun
New Contributor II

i tried restarting the ipsengine, but after a while it gets very high egain

craigusza

Hi,

In your CLI just sort the processes by Memory usage to get a better view.

diagnose sys top 5 25

hit m once open to change the sort order to memory

m also works in the diagnose sys top-summary screen.

The IPS engine does use quite a bit of memory so don't be surprised by that to much.  What is this device configured to be doing in terms of throughput, UTM functionality enabled and such?

Regards,

Craig

kinmun
New Contributor II

my mem usage is now hitting 90% regularly.

should i schedule a reboot of the firewall ASAP ?

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Soon you would have to when it enters into conserve mode. I would recommend you open a TT with TAC to get it looked. Likely a software bug, like one of our FG1500Ds, which encountered with 5.2.7. They recognized it as a software bug and we've been waiting for the new 5.2.8 release that supposed to have the bug fix. In our case "imd" process has been eating up memory gradually without any reason. But it doesn't happen to all the other FG1500Ds we have somehow.

kallbrandt

Uptime on the firewall seems to be 381 days according to your last attached picture...

A reboot once in a while is a good thing. The next thing to try is newer code. If you open a case with the support, the first suggestion they will give you is to upgrade anyway. My suggestion is to go up one step at a time, and check how that works. Be careful to always back up your config before upgrading, since downgrading config isn't supported.

Richie

NSE7

Richie NSE7
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors