Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
blackstark
New Contributor II

fortiswitch ring topology with different model

hello what is the maximum # of switches supported? (ring topology) 

Can we mix different fortiswitch models in the same ring?

thx.

7 REPLIES 7
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello blackstark,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Since this flat topology will rely on ISL/LAG and STP there is no limit and requirements for the switches to be of the same model (shown in the topology section of the guide). Having a tiered topology is recommended to have better scalability.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
blackstark
New Contributor II

correct me if i am wrong but my understanding that in a tiered topology and for my access layer specifically - I would need to dual home every single access switch? Correct?

ebilcari

It's not mandatory, it's good to have for better redundancy and throughput but the access switch can still work with only one uplink.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
blackstark
New Contributor II

ok but when you say the recommendation a tiered approach you are saying that the switches should be dual-homed as well?

what's the difference between a  ring topology and an access switch with only a single uplink 

ebilcari

If FGTs are in HA at least in the distribution layer should be considered to use MCLAG to benefit in terms of throughput and to not disrupt the services in case of a switch/link failure but that depends on the network requirements and the budget.

For simple network with a single FGT the ring topology may be enough if there isn't to much horizontal traffic (inter VLAN routing, the uplink/fortilink may become a bottleneck) and the STP convergence delay is not a concern.

- Emirjon
laltuzar
Staff
Staff

Take a look into this post to answer the first question: Technical Tip: Cannot get more than 8 FortiSwitches managed on a FortiGate

Regarding the second question, you should not have any problem mixing models on the same ring as long as the STP is well configured.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors