Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TheOldDozer
New Contributor

credential or ssl vpn configuration is wrong (-7200) with Duo

I've got a user who has had access to Forticlient (FC) for several months. We use Duo for our 2FA and he's been using it without issue until last night. We verified the user's domain account and password are not expired but we went ahead and reset it, just to be sure it wasn't some kind of glitch. This did not impact the error. The user is able to use Duo to login to other systems without issue so the hardware token appears to be working as expected in those situations. 

As part of testing, I had the user attempt to login to FC on my computer, as I use it many times a week and had logged in this morning. This was an attempt to verify that there wasn't an issue with the installation of the software on his computer. The user got the same error on my computer. I subsequently logged into the VPN under his user profile using my credentials successfully. Therefore, I'm certain the issue is not with the software. 

We have seemingly ruled out the user's Active Directory Account, Duo Account, and the software installation. As such, I'm at a loss for what the issue might be going forward. I've searched this forum along with other support repositories and I've not been able to find this specific issue described. And other instances of this specific error have multiple different solutions but they usually appear to be more widespread than a single user. 

Has anyone else ran into this issue and found a solution?  

Thank you!

Dozer

2 REPLIES 2
pminarik
Staff
Staff

I understand that you're using LDAP protocol for this authentication, is that right?

In that case, you can try to rule out SSL-VPN interference by running a test-authentication directly in the FortiGate's CLI:

diag test auth ldap <server-name> <username> <password>
Replace <server-name> with the name of the LDAP object in "config user ldap". Note that the password isn't obfuscated in any way when typing it on the command line.

If that fails as well, you know the SSL-VPN isn't involved in this failure, and for further troubleshooting you can run debug of fnbamd:

diag debug reset

diag debug console timestamp enable

diag debug app fnbamd -1

diag debug enable

#==> repeat the test

diag debug disable

You can then review the debugs, or ask for assistance here or in a TAC ticket (if the info in the debugs are too sensitive for you to share and you don't feel like redacting the values carefully).

You can also combine the debugs with a packet capture of the LDAP traffic, althogh this tends to be useful only if you're using plaintext, unencrypted, LDAP. (ports 389 or 3268 for plaintext, 636 or 3269 for encrypted LDAPS).

[ corrections always welcome ]
spoojary
Staff
Staff

1. User Profile in FortiGate: Ensure the user's profile or group is properly set up for VPN access.
  2. Duo Integration Logs: Review the Duo admin portal for any errors concerning this user.
  3. Re-Enroll in Duo: Temporarily unenroll and re-enroll the user.
  4. FortiClient Logs: Enable debug logging for detailed error messages.
  5. Check SSL VPN Settings: Confirm SSL VPN configurations remain intact.
  6. Duo Device Sync: Consider re-syncing the user's Duo hardware token or test with another 2FA method.
  7. IP Restrictions: Ensure no geolocation or IP restrictions block the user.
  8. Updates: Update both FortiGate firmware and FortiClient software.

If unresolved, consider reaching out directly to Fortinet or Duo Support.

Siddhanth Poojary
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors