Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RazAspir
New Contributor

connect to Forti AP 221C

I want to connect an old Forti Access Point 221C.

I work with FortiGate 90e Ver 7.4. 

When I connect the AP to the switch it gets an IP address, but my FortiGate doesn't recognize it as a AP in the managed FortAPs section .

I tried to add it manually with the serial number, but I get the message - "Invalid FortiAP serial number".

I opened the web and tried to connect to the AP console, but password is required.

I tried to reset the AP by clicking long time on a button there , and after I did , I didn't mange to connect to the console with the default blank password ,and I'm stuck in the login page.

1. there is a way to reset the AP password?

2. There is a reason I can't see the AP in the managed AP section in the FortiGate?

9 REPLIES 9
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

FAP221C doesn't seem to be supported by FortiOS 7.4. You need to downgrade the FGT at least to 7.2.x if you want to use the 221C.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiap/7.4.0/fortiap-and-fortios-compatibility-matrix/261175/for...

Toshi

RazAspir

Hi Thanks.

Do you know if there is a way to reset the AP password to default?

Toshi_Esumi

There should be a tiny hole on the 221C's front panel, upper part, if I remember correctly. We stopped using 221Cs for some time by now. You need to use a paper click or something to push&hold the reset button inside for 10 sec or so or LED indications change.

Toshi

ebilcari

The reset procedure is explained in FortiWiFi and FortiAP Configuration Guide page 54:

1. Make sure FortiAP is booted up.
2. Use a pin to push and hold the reset button for 5 to 10 seconds.
FortiAP reboots and then enters the Configuration mode.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
RazAspir

Thanks for your answer.

I reset it by clicking the reset button, but when im trying to connect to the web interface in the login page with :

username: admin

password:

It doesn't work. I don't get a message about wrong password , the page is logged in for a second and then refreshing again to the login page again. 

PLease advise .

Thanks

ebilcari

Since this is an old AP the modern browsers may not support it. Can you try with an older version like IE or Firefox 3.x?

Can you access the CLI via telnet? page 6 

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
RazAspir

Thanks!

I succeed to connect with internet explorer.

Is there an option to update the AP to make it work with Chrome/Edge and to connect to Fortigate 90E 7.4 ver?

ebilcari

Unfortunately this model is marked as EOS since 2023-10-14. You can try to upgrade to the later firmware version to have the best of it but you can't integrate it with later versions of FGT, maybe 6.x.

- Emirjon
dbhavsar
Staff
Staff

Hello @RazAspir ,
If you are using v7.4 FortiGate will not be able to manage old models [B, C and D]. You can see this in special notes for v7.4
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.1/fortios-release-notes/644636/remove-wtp-profiles-...

DNB
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors