Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
toan2552
New Contributor

aws internet traffic and aws

Hi,

I have an IPsec connection set up from AWS to Fortigate.

In AWS, there's a private subnet containing various services, including EC2 instances.

Within my Fortinet, there are two networks - a DMZ network and an internal network, and they can communicate with the EC2 instances without any issues.

However, I'm currently facing a challenge: I want to enable internet access for the EC2 instances through the IPsec connection, following this path:

EC2 ===> Fortigate 1 ===> Internet

To achieve this, I've configured the AWS route table to have a route with destination 0.0.0.0/0 pointing to the virtual private gateway (VGW) to handle internet-bound traffic.

On the Fortigate side, I've implemented two policies. The first policy is to allow traffic from the WAN to AWS IPsec, and the second policy is to allow traffic from AWS IPsec to the WAN.

Unfortunately, despite these configurations, the setup isn't functioning as expected. When capturing traffic on the Fortigate, the results show:

1 0.000000 192.168.16.44 8.8.8.8 ICMP 60 Echo (ping) request id=0x0001, seq=51820/27850, ttl=128 (no response found!)

This suggests that the ping request from 192.168.16.44 (presumably one of the EC2 instances) to 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS server) did not receive a response.

I'd appreciate any guidance or suggestions to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

Thank you.

1 Solution
saneeshpv_FTNT

Hi,

I can see two routes here. Which one is Active in FIB?

Your traffic enters Firewall on FGT-AWS2, so it should have an active route to AWS EC2 instance via FGT-AWS2 only.

Best Regards,

Regards,

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
toan2552

Hi, I solved the problem. It was on AWS ACL rules. It was necessary to input rule 0.0.0.0/0

And now fortigate controller the input traffic with policy.

The next step will be virtual ip for EC2 machines

Thank you so much for your help.

stevediaz
New Contributor

Hello

Check your outbound security group rules on AWS for the EC2 instances to ensure internet access is allowed. Also, verify the NAT settings and ensure proper routing on both AWS and Fortigate sides.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors