Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JosephR
New Contributor

Where did my Internet go??

Hello.

I have a Comcast XFi modem set in bridge modem that is connected to a Fortinet 30E UTM firewall and then to a TrendNET unmanaged Gigabit switch.

Randomly and multiple times during the day, my normal television shaped system tray network icon changes to the globe signifying that I have no Internet access. After a couple of minutes, everything reconnects and I am good until the next time.

Is any or has anyone experienced this and what is the solution for it please?

Thanks,

Joseph

1 REPLY 1
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

What's that bandwidth usage on the WAN graph?  Is either the inbound or outbound traffic look to be maxing out your Comcast connection?  Do you have any rate limiting set up on the WAN interface. eg.

config system interface     edit "wan"         set inbandwidth <value>         set outbandwidth <value>     next end

Aside from this, you may want to check for possible duplex/speed mismatch on both sides of the 30E connection. eg. WAN and LAN.

#diag hardware deviceinfo nic wan Description        Marvell NETA Gigabit Ethernet driver 00000010 System_Device_Name    wan    Current_HWaddr        04:d5:90:yy:aa:xx Permanent_HWaddr    04:d5:90:yy:aa:xx State            up Link            up Speed            1000 Duplex            full Rx_Packets        12888964 Tx_Packets        256716 Rx_Bytes        4107794567 Tx_Bytes        32445225 If you see any Rx or Tx errors wait a couple minutes then repeat the diag commands above.  If the error counters increase then you may have a duplex/speed mismatch.  Do the same to the lan port side. #diag hardware deviceinfo nic <lan |lan1|lan2|lan3|lan4>

Basic network troubleshooting applies - try to determine possible cabling issue, switch issue, comast modem issue, etc.  If you can log into the comcast modem, you might have access to the logs there.

Also do not rule out a cable problem between your computer and that switch.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors