Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
victor-younes
New Contributor

Whatsapp File Transfer

application control.png

Hello Everyone,

I am facing a weird issue where WhatsApp File Transfer (images, voices,...) is being blocked when I enable web filter (the default with allowed unrated category) and application control (attached snapshot for reference).

Firewall Policy.png

The Firewall policy is very basic with deep-inspection enabled and the ceritificate is added to each users device in the root certificate authority.

Everything is working fine but we are unbale to send/receive images or videos on whatsapp windows application (the web and mobile version of whatsapp is working fine).

Thank you for your support.

6 REPLIES 6
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello Victor

Try check in traffic logs what is being blocked by web filter when you transfer a file.

AEK
AEK
victor-younes

This is what I was trying to accomplish, but unfortunately nothing is being shown in the Forward Traffic log related to traffic being blocked..

And the message showing on the users' devices is not actually a block it is as shown below..Error.png

victor-younes

Forgot to mention that no VPN connection is in place and the Fortigate is 70F with firmware 7.4.3

AEK

In case you don't find a solution then as a workaround you may create a policy above the existing one to allow only WhatsApp applications.

AEK
AEK
victor-younes

a policy to allow whatsapp using only application control with deep inspection?

AEK

Yes, I see some WhatsApp requires deep inspection.

whatsapp.png

AEK
AEK
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors