Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Silver
New Contributor

Web filter static url vs web override

Dear All,

Any one can help, can we use  static url and web override at the same time within the same web filter profile

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
Christopher_McMullan

You should be able to. The URL filter table action for a site is applied before FortiGuard categories/overrides. If you allow a site in a filter list, it will be subjected to the category action or override you specify under the ftgd-wf (FortiGuard) settings. If you exempt a site, no further scanning is performed.

As long as you don't exempt a site, you should be alright.

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

Silver
New Contributor

hi thank for your reply. what did really mean the exempt in static url. what really will take precedence static url or web overide

Thanks

Christopher_McMullan

I just tested the following:

URL filter entry for www.fortinet.com (simple, not wildcard or regex). I originally set the action to Block.

I added the table to a webfilter profile affecting my test host. The site was blocked.

I added an override for www.fortinet.com, so that it appeared as Travel under General Interest - Personal, and set a Warning action for the category, and applied the change to the profile. When I reloaded www.fortinet.com, I was prompted with a warning, as expected.

URL filter table actions are applied first, followed by FortiGuard web filter actions, followed by web content profiles, followed by advanced profile functions, followed by A/V scanning. Each will be applied in turn if the step before does not result in an outright block. Allowing a site in a URL filter will mean the traffic is still subject to:

1. FortiGuard web filtering

2. Web content filtering

3. Advanced filtering

4. A/V scanning

in that order.

If, however, you exempt www.fortinet.com access from further inspection in the URL filter, then *no* further inspection is carried out: no FortiGuard category actions (or overrides), no content filtering, no advanced filters, and no A/V scanning.

It's useful for troubleshooting, or as a workaround if one of the other features still performed is causing issues with particular sites.

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors