Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mes-Lili2
New Contributor III

Web Filter Issue

I have a basic policy with web filter as below...    when I browse to the site listed as blocked it allows me out on the same policy.  perhaps I have missed something obvious here,... 

FSSO4-Error.png

and here is the web filter

FSSO3-Error.png

11 REPLIES 11
dbu
Staff
Staff

Hi @Mes-Lili2 ,

Have a look at these tips here :

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-FortiGate-Static-URL-filter-actions-explai...

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
dbu
Staff
Staff

I just did a fresh config in the lab like this : 

webfilter.PNG

polic.PNG

ches.PNG

Make sure you are matching the correct firewall policy!

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Mes-Lili2
New Contributor III

OK thanks for the example,   but what would you do if you just wanted that policy to allow access to only www.cheese.com, would you simply set  to allow.  this is what i have done for microsoft .com only but my test connection to my own website is using the  policy allows the traffic through. and the logs show the policy used.

FSSOA-Error.pngFSSOB-Error.pngFSSOC-Error.pngFSSOD-Error.png

Mes-Lili2
New Contributor III

In your policy above, yes it will block www.cheese.com but it will also allow users to go to every other site...  and if you put a wildcard block below www.cheese it will block all users and prevent them getting to any websites allowed in policies further down...  or am i wrong??

hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Mes-Lili2,

Can you check webfilter logs and make sure the URL is matching the one you configured under static URL filter. 

Regards, 

Mes-Lili2
New Contributor III

Where are the webfilter logs…”?”?

hbac

It depends on FortiOS version, you can check Log & Report -> Web Filter. Or Log & Report -> Security Events > Web Filter

dbu
Staff
Staff

Depending on the version, it either shows directly  Log & Report > Web filter or Log & Report > Security Events > Web filter

Regards!
Mes-Lili2
New Contributor III

Log report shows no option for web filter and security events shows “no results” in main window.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors