Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Nuur
New Contributor

VLANS are not functioning in my lap

I Have WAN and LAN port.

But I am trying to create vlans under the lan port, see the pictures

The LAN(port2) network is working fine on my vm's. It works also through dhcp server relay.

The ip adresses of my 2 vlans created under the LAN(port2) are not working in my vm's. and they cannot reach my Vm's.

I also created firewall policy from the VLANs to the WAN port, but that doesnt work either

I Am using Hyper-v Environment.

Any Suggestions please?

Schermafbeelding 2024-05-09 201518.pngSchermafbeelding 2024-05-09 203037.png

8 REPLIES 8
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Port2 is connected to which kind of device?

If it is L2 switch or server or anything else, the port of that device must be configured as trunk allowing VLANs 10 & 16.

AEK
AEK
Nuur
New Contributor

Hi AEK,

Its connected to a internal virtual Ethernet from Hyper-V
I will try to configure the trunk, but I dont know if that is possible in the virtual Ethernet

ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @Nuur ,

You need to create trunk interface on Hyper-V for port2. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/hyper-v/set-vmnetworkadaptervlan?view=windowsser...

And also you need to create every vlan on Hyper-V for vm machines. 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
Nuur

Hi ozkanaltas

I will try to follow the instructions in the link.

I will let you know.

Thanks

Nuur

I have created the VLAN 16 id in virtual adapter of the Hyper-v

But stil not working.

Not sure if the issue is from Fortigate or Hyper-v

Schermafbeelding 2024-05-10 205608.png

ozkanaltas

Hello @Nuur ,

Did you create trunk interface for FortiGate. 

Also after creatation, you need to chane this vlans and trumk interfaces to your vm's interface.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
Nuur
New Contributor

Hi ozkanaltas,

I am new to the Fortigate. Iam now facing issues that my VM Licence has expired.

normally I do factory reset, then I import the configuration which I backed-up.

But now I cant get passed the License window. I will look for a solution for this.

But for my VLAN Issues

Which interface should be trunked? The physical LAN port on fortigate of vlan16.

Schermafbeelding 2024-05-11 095649.pngSchermafbeelding 2024-05-11 075823.png

AEK

Hi Nuur

The screenshot shows that you created VLANs 10 and 16 on FG's port2, so it seems from FG side you did it well.

Now you need to create the same from HyperV side, I mean create tagged VLANs on your HV port and propagate them to your VMs. I can't help on HV since I'm not experienced with it, but I'm pretty sure this doc can help:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/configure-virtual-loc...

AEK
AEK
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors