Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rtvd
New Contributor II

Typing not working in the serial console of FortiSwitch 124F

I have a FortiSwitch 124F which is working fine apart from one worrying thing: if I connect to its serial console, I can see what it's typing, but when I am typing - no characters appear. For example, when I reboot the device with the serial cable connected, I can see the messages and eventually a login prompt. But I cannot log in as the switch is deaf to my typing.

The serial cable itself appears to be healthy - it works perfectly if I connect to a different device, for example to FortiGate 40F.

I tried switching the baud rate down to 9600 but that did not help. Now I am out of ideas.

Please somebody suggest what I could be done?

11 REPLIES 11
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Try physically check the switch's console port if the pins are all ok.

AEK
AEK
rtvd
New Contributor II

The console port pins look perfectly fine.

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

First, are you using the console cable came within the shipping box? You might have some problem if you're using a different kind like Cisco console cable. The same console cable works perfectly fine with "E" model or "D" model of FortiSwitch.
I had to RMA an FS108F multiple times because when I type "a" it showed "A" or different characters. When I used the console cable from FTNT, it worked fine. Something hardware must be different on "F" Sereies FSWs.

Toshi

Toshi_Esumi

Of course those different console cables work fine with any type of FGTs, including 40F, 60F, 100F and so on. Only "F" Series FSW seems to be different based on my experience.

Toshi

rtvd
New Contributor II

I am 90% sure it is the one. The cable looks just like in the manual, and I fished it out of the box of the switch. There is a small possibility that someone could have thrown a wrong serial cable in and removed the correct one, but that's unlikely. Also, it definitely is not a Cisco one.

serial cable.jpg

Could it be that the switch is configured to have a read-only serial console? If so, where might it be?

AEK

Fortinet cable is like the one shown below, I got one in a newly acquired FSW 124F.

s-l1600

AEK
AEK
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @rtvd,

Please refer to the QuickStart Guide: https://fortinetweb.s3.amazonaws.com/docs.fortinet.com/v2/attachments/67241563-25de-11eb-96b9-005056...

1. Connect the Console Port with a Console Cable to the USB Port on the Management Computer.
2. Start a terminal program on the Management Computer and select an available COM Port using the following default settings:
Baud rate: 115200
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None

Regards, 

rtvd
New Contributor II

Hi @hbac,

This is exactly what I tried and it did not work. I also tried switching the baud rate to 9600 both in the configuration and the terminal - same problem.

My cable is different to the one shown in @AEK, post. However, the QuickStart Guide for my FortiSwitch 124F is different too, and shows a different (older?) cable.

Given that I am taking the correct steps and it does not work, I guess I can try to purchase a totally new serial cable and try it with it. If that does not work either, it must be a fault in the switch, correct?

Toshi_Esumi

yeah, that's what I would do to make sure it's not a cable issue. In my case I have at least 4-5 console cables from Cisco and FTNT, and others. My 108F came with a black DB-9 cable like yours.
Then open a ticket at TAC. It might be just defective hardware if it never worked before. RMA is needed if that's the case.

Toshi

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors