Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TomWhi
New Contributor

Top Logging Policies

Hi,

My FortiAnalyser is creaking with too many logs being generated per day. We have "all logging" turned on a lot of policies which we can probably reduce to UTM logs only - but I'd like to have a report of which policies are creating the most amount of logs so I can target them first. 

Is there a report a a view I can enable to see which policies are generating the most amount of logs?

-------------------------------------------------

Tom Whiteley Infrastructure Engineer

------------------------------------------------- Tom Whiteley Infrastructure Engineer
5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

What I would  do 

1: if you have multiple  FGT logging  check the log per/sec per  fgt

2:  Tackle the easy stuff ( do you log all dns lookup,  CIFS/SMB internal traffic, MS-AD traffic, etc...)'

3: Do you log session start  

I was in your shoes a year or two ago with a ORG that believed "log all" an everything was the smart ideal. Upper

management and  CISO had no clue about what we logged and how to use and  effective logging solution.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
tanr
Valued Contributor II

If you don't have too many FortiGates or too many different security policies, you can just filter a days worth of logs by log UUID or log custom field and see how many you get for each policy.

See http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2017/06/fortios-logging-uuid.html for details on log UUID.

See http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2017/07/custom-log-fields-fortios.html for details on setting custom field for particular policies.

I agree that a report from the FAZ for this sort of thing would be very useful, so if you come up with a solution please post it!  Quickest solution might be gotten by giving TAC a call.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I agreed, look at the  top policies and  how many hits over a 1/2 day period during the week would be a start. Advise log with you need, and is useful.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
TomWhi
New Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. I have logged it with our support vendor who I've asked to raise with FortiNet (I'll log it directly if they don't but I have to jump through these hoops). 

I have done a quick look at our biggest hitting policies on the FortiGates (we only have 2x HA pairs) - and looked for ones that have the largest number of hits and where Logging is enabled. I'll start with them.

I'm still going to look into the report option because it saves increasing our log licence, which is probably why it's not included out of the box ;)

-------------------------------------------------

Tom Whiteley Infrastructure Engineer

------------------------------------------------- Tom Whiteley Infrastructure Engineer
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

So what we did  during my last big  audit

1: we  ID all policy with logging  set for policy 

e.g 

show firewall  policy |  grep -f  "set logging all"

2:  review each policy for hits 

diagnose firewall iprope show 100004  

3: and then tackle the  one that has most hits per hour or day

I also do the above on a regular  schedule to  ID policies that are no longer used or have changed ( if the hits counts do not increase, that's a good chance the traffic has changed or policy, or is not no longer required )

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors