Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tanr
Valued Contributor II

Teredo IPv6 tunnel through IPv4 - Any way to inspect without going to IPv6?

Hi All,

FortiGate 300D v5.4.1.  Just going live with a subset of our vlans and watching traffic, I noticed a ton of UPD/3544 from our Windows boxes, which is likely Teredo - Microsoft's IPv6 tunnel through IPv4.  I've kept everything in-house at IPv4 still.

A while back there were a lot of comments that Teredo could too easily be used by malware to bypass inspection by gateway firewalls.  I haven't seen much recently, but Symantec's write up on it was concerning: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/reference/Teredo_Security.pdf.

My uneducated questions:

- Is Teredo still seen as a security risk?

- I assume FGT isn't aware of Teredo and there's no way for me to inspect it without moving over to IPv6 dual stack?

- Has anybody blocked Teredo at the FGT and disabled for the Windows clients (netsh interface teredo set state disable) and how did it go?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

1 REPLY 1
63kk0
New Contributor II

Apologies for the ask, and I know this is very old, so I won't likely get an answer, but I have run into a similar situation where I see Teredo IPv6 over IPv4 tunnels being used for Xbox traffic, which circumvents policies and inspection when the firewall is in IPv4 mode.  Except, that I am using firmware 6.4.10 on a FGT60F.  I assume, likewise, that I will have to setup IPv6 mode for my firewall to be able to even inspect this tunnel, yes?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors