Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MisterAG
New Contributor

Speed up HTTP file downloads (Client Comforting?)

Hi there, I am trying to speed up downloading of large HTTP files (ie Flash) for some of my customers. As I understand, my FGT800 downloads the entire file, runs the full file through the AV algorithms, and then sends the clean file off to the client at LAN speeds (100 Mbps). For typical file downloads, this behaviour is fine, since the file is unusable until it is fully received anyways. Video streaming is different, however. Customers who are trying to watch Flash video (YouTube) are getting frustrated because they have to wait for the entire video to be downloaded before they can watch it - they can' t watch the video as it buffers like is the behaviour elsewhere. I have tried playing with Client Comforting, but the comfort amount is too small (max 10K) to be of use for flash streaming. Any thoughts?
1 REPLY 1
MisterAG
New Contributor

Per Fortigate support: Disable client comforting (since you can only steam up to 10Kbps), and enable the Oversized file Threshold. Configure the oversized file threshold to PASS files > 1 or 2 MB. This will cause the fortigate to buffer the first 2 MB of the file, and then pass stream the rest of the file, while scanning in line.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors