Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Amit9
New Contributor

Source Address translation

Hi Guys, Below is my setup. how traffic from my internet flows to my server everything is working fine Host on Internet -> Firewall -> L3 device -> L3 device -> server Now my problem is whenever a user from internet is hitting to my server in the application logs of server I see the interface IP of firewall instead the actual source IP of the host. What changes do I need to make so that instead of firewall' s interface IP I can get the actual source IP of remote machine in my server logs. Hope I am making sense to you guys
2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello, and welcome to the forums. On the Fortigate you have checked the " NAT" option in the incoming policy. This is not necessary here. Uncheck it to keep the original source address. If traffic then stops (return traffic, that is) then there is no default route on the intermediate L3 devices. There has got to be a route at every intermediate station telling the device where to find the source network. In case of internet traffic, there are a lot of source networks; instead of explicit routes to each one there is a default route in place, sending every unknown packet to the internet. Does that make sense for you?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Amit9
New Contributor

Hi Ede, Thanks for your suggestion. Yes when NAT removed communication is stopped and i agree that this problem is with reverse route. I have attached more detailed diagram in this post. Is there any way i can add two default route to L3 device. The L3 device is Cisco
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors