Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lakesdan
New Contributor II

Send email alerts for web filter categories

FortiGate 60E 6.4.7

I have my email alert settings set in threshold mode, and the threshold set at critical.

In my threat weight settings I have various web categories set at critical weight, yet when someone hits one of those categories, no email alert is sent.

For example, my web filter profile is set to block 'Malicious Websites' category. My threat weight for that category is 'critical'.

config log threat-weight
    config web
        edit 1
            set category 26
            set level critical

The email alert severity is set at critical

config alertemail setting
    set username *************
    set mailto1 ************
    set filter-mode threshold
    set severity critical
end

If I try to visit a site in the Malicious Website category, from one of the machines in the aforementioned web filter profile, I can see this in the Web Filter logs with severity Critical as expected. However, no email is sent.

I receive other emails e.g. IPS threats, failed admin logins etc, so it would not appear to be a more generic email settings issue but something specific to web filter logs.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hey lakesdan,

can you double-check if the severity, or the threat-level is critical? Those may be two different log fields.

If you download the log message, and view it in an editor, there should be a field 'severity', which is what the alert emails go off, and a field 'crlevel', which should be the threat level if I remember correctly.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
lakesdan

Hi Debbie,

There isn't a 'severity' but there is a 'level' which is coming out as warning. The crlevel is critical.

If the email alerts don't go off the crlevel which is what you can change in the threat weight settings, why does it let you change them, is it just for reporting?

Is there any other way to achieve what I'm trying to do aside from using filter-mode: category? Can it be done using automation stitches instead?

krizzy9876

Hello, I am looking for the same solution, were you ever able to accomplish this?

lakesdan
New Contributor II

@krizzy9876 - no, unfortunately not.

srajeswaran

Starting from 7.2 we have more categories added to automation triggers.

• Anomaly logs
  • IPS logs
  • SSH logs
  • Traffic violations
  • Virus logs
  • Web filter violations

I haven't tested these, can you try creating a automation stitch with trigger as "web filter violations" and action as "Email Notification" ?

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.0/administration-guide/733368/event-log-category-tr...

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

krizzy9876

Thank you for the tip, I will upgrade and test to see if this does what I need :)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors