Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pieciaq
New Contributor III

Same VLAN on Hardware switch and FortiLink

Hello there,

it should be possible to create this same VLAN ID and IP on both interfaces Hardware Switch and FortLink?

Because I made it and not sure this is correct way and traffic between this interfaces but same VLAN will work.

FortiLink:

2024-03-21 10_52_33-FortiGate - PLFW-001_Master.png

Hardware Switch:

2024-03-21 10_52_56-FortiGate - PLFW-001_Master.png

Basically I need to make connection between new network on FortiSwitches connected with Fortilink to FortiGates  and old network on different vendor switches there.

VoIP phones from new network need to connect with server on with VoIP central that is located with old network.

How is best to achieve this:

1. Create new VLAN on FortiLink
  2. Assigne to Port on FortiSwitch
  3. Make policy with NAT one to one?

Normally that should be the way but I need it to work with LLDP profile with CDP (Cisco Discover Protocol) so that Phones after connecting to port will automatically connect with VoIP central and download config.

Piotr$
Piotr$
1 Solution
Jakob-AHHG
Contributor II

Hi @pieciaq 

If the switch is fortilinked, all the vlan's on the fortilink is already on the switch.

If you need a link to other brands of switches, simply set native & tagged vlan's on the port and change the LLDP Profile to 'Default' from 'Default-Auto-ISL'.
Remember that it's best to do so from the FortiGate, so you're sure changes is saved. Most local changes do sync back to the FG, but you might loose things if you reboot it and it fetches last saved state from the FG.

Jakob Peterhänsel,
IT System Admin,
Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK

View solution in original post

Jakob Peterhänsel,IT System Admin,Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK
3 REPLIES 3
Jakob-AHHG
Contributor II

Hi @pieciaq 

If the switch is fortilinked, all the vlan's on the fortilink is already on the switch.

If you need a link to other brands of switches, simply set native & tagged vlan's on the port and change the LLDP Profile to 'Default' from 'Default-Auto-ISL'.
Remember that it's best to do so from the FortiGate, so you're sure changes is saved. Most local changes do sync back to the FG, but you might loose things if you reboot it and it fetches last saved state from the FG.

Jakob Peterhänsel,
IT System Admin,
Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK
Jakob Peterhänsel,IT System Admin,Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Based on my experience when I tested "managed" FSWs over fortilink, you can create the same VLAN ID on both FSW side (=on the fortilink) and on the hardswitch/VLAN switch side at the same time. But they have no L2 connection between them. They're completely separated.
If you HAVE TO connect them together, you have to make FSWs "standalone" then connect to one of hardswitch ports.

I don't recommend it. I mean, don't use the same VLAN ID.

Toshi

pieciaq
New Contributor III

Yes, I also test it and it is possible. 

@Toshi_Esumi wrote:

But they have no L2 connection between them.

But if use policy between interfaces with this same vLan.

I know it is not recommended but some how need to access old VoIP network(VLAN55) with old central there an have this access.

Piotr$
Piotr$
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors