Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Aurelien75
New Contributor

SFP+ Fortilink slot usage

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a Fortinet 200F and I would like to know if the 2 "10 GE SFP+ FortiLink Slots" can be used for a general use (=I can plug standard equipments on it)

Thanks
Aurélien

4 REPLIES 4
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm I used the slots on some 100E,100F and 300E with some DELL 10G SFP+ Transceiver and also some generic Finisar ones. It produced some warning in Gui because its not "whitelisted" by Fortinet but still works fine...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
anikolov
Staff
Staff

Hello Aurélien,

If I understand correctly, you want to use these ports for other no-fortigate equipment, right? In that case you would need to reconfigure the ports (check for references of the interface in Interfaces) and then use it as you please. Bear in mind that the SFPs that you would like to use need to be supported by Fortinet.

Regards,

Aleksandar Nikolov
dabbes
New Contributor

Hi Aurelien,

you cn many different modules, but some have warnings and others do NOT warn but work fine.

FINISAR CORP. FTLX8574D3BCL work without warnings

QSFPTEK QT-SFP-10G-T work with warnings.

Check the firmware of FGT first...

You can get rebranded FINISAR from Flexoptics.  They work perfect.

Regards

Martin

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

As for using the 10G ports as plain network ports, remove them from the virtual "Fortilink" interface first. There are no usage limitations on hardware ports on a FGT (except for "mgmt" ports which do not route).

As for third-party SFPs, they are not prohibited by FortiOS. (There were rumours that FOS 6.4 would, but apparently so many non-Fortinet transceivers would have been broken after upgrade that the idea was dropped.) If you can choose, those sold by FTNT offer DDE / DOM, that is, budget and temperature measurement. Finisar should be fine. The remark that you "should" use FTNT transceivers is valid as well, as soon as you open a TAC case they will not support third-party devices.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors