Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
greydog_11
New Contributor

SD-WAN load balancing on data allowance

Hi,

Hope this is the correct place for this question. I am looking at a site with 4 x satellite and 1 x 4G internet connection that they want load balanced. All the services are on data plans that throttle when they reach their download limit. Is it possible, with a 60F, to configure SD-WAN for the 5 services such that I can detect if a service has been throttled and remove from the equation, or tell if a particular service is performing badly and reduce traffic to it.

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
lobstercreed
Valued Contributor

Not an SD-WAN expert, but you could definitely define some latency-based Performance SLAs which I would imagine would be noticeably different once you were being throttled.  It wouldn't be perfect, but it should reduce the traffic at least.  I'm not sure if there are any "bandwidth" based ways of doing this though (i.e. detecting throttling outright).

greydog_11

Thanks for the reply, I have used the latency SLA's before, not sure a throttled link would have increased latency, just decreased bandwidth. If the latency tests use ICMP the small packets should have the same latency as the unthrottled links (I think).

I saw somewhere you can do a throughtput test, but I would be hesitant to use this as that would chew up the data allowance doing tests. Ideally I would like to say each link had 200G of data available and load balance based on this. I will keep searching.

thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors