Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
leo-ehk
New Contributor

SAML Configuration for Fortigate SSL VPN SSO - Invalid HTTP request.

Hello community,

we would like to configure our fortigate 100F SSLVPN Access with SAML and MS Entra.

Unfortunately, we get the following prompt 

SAML-FortiIssue.PNG

We use the following MS Node:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/identity/saas-apps/fortigate-ssl-vpn-tutorial

Is it important, that we use a entra Plan or is the free Version okay? We use M365 business St. 

1 Solution
pminarik

SAML authentication can be configured to work without specific groups. In this situation, you'd better manually set who can use the "enterprise application" (SSL-VPN) in Azure AD/Entra's configuration.

The P1/P2 plan affects what additional options you have available, but a basic SAML setup can be run even with a free plan, as far as I am aware.

[ corrections always welcome ]

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
pminarik

SAML authentication can be configured to work without specific groups. In this situation, you'd better manually set who can use the "enterprise application" (SSL-VPN) in Azure AD/Entra's configuration.

The P1/P2 plan affects what additional options you have available, but a basic SAML setup can be run even with a free plan, as far as I am aware.

leo-ehk

Okay, many thanks, that is for me a important notice!

Unfortunately, if i log in with SAML i get the next issue:

Do you have an idea for that, too.

nextissue.PNG

pminarik

This will be more complex to troubleshoot. We'd need to see the following debugs:
diag debug reset

diag debug console timestamp enable

diag debug app sslvpn -1

diag debug app saml -1
diag debug enable

#=> reproduce issue now

diag debug disable

diag debug reset

And we would also need to review the current configuration (ssl-vpn configuration, groups, SAML server, firewall policies).

Since all of this will likely contain some sensitive information, it may be better to continue this in a support ticket with the TAC.

leo-ehk

Thank you for all. 

sbaltic

With version v7.4.1 build2463 is not working at all ... usually the problem is invalid HTTP request. Already tired via cli and manually created app in Entra or with wizard and FortiGate SSL VPN app in entra ... 

SB
SB
sbaltic
New Contributor

Hello. 

this is my config on FG and Entra ID and is not working ... invalid HTTP request

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 8.31.05 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 8.25.37 AM.png

SB
SB
pminarik

I would start by removing the ":443" part from all URLs on all sides. That's the default port for HTTPS, so explicitly including it like that is weird. Could be a cause of some issues.

You should also most likely remove the "set cert" part in the FGT config. That is used for signing requests sent by the FortiGate, and by default AzureAD/Entra doesn't ask for this. (nor do I see any indication in your screenshots that you've manually enabled requiring SP requests to be signed)

sbaltic

I removed set cert and removed 443, but still got error "Invalid HTTP request"

SB
SB
pminarik

Was the URL modified both in FGT config and in Entra's config? If yes:

Are we talking about the same error as seen here? https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Support-Forum/SAML-Configuration-for-Fortigate-SSL-VPN-SSO-Invalid...

My last tip would be to check how long the whole flow takes. If it's a significant amount of time, not a couple of seconds, you may consider increasing some timers:

config vpn ssl settings

set login-timeout 60 # or 90

end

Further steps would require checking SSL-VPN debugs and browser network debugger, which is better suited for a ticket with the TAC, given the sensitive information those will contain.

sbaltic

on both sites yes and login timeout is set to 180, I could try with 60 np

SB
SB
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors