Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
DavidC
New Contributor

Routing problem between 2 FG Tunnel VPN IPsec

Hello,

I need help solving a routing problem.

HQ and Brand Fortigate FW are connected via VPN IPsec Site to Site, everything is working fine, we can ping and have access from servers and ressources LAN to LAN from both side. 

I created a static route from Brand's LAN 10.0.151.0/24 to HQ's router 10.0.78.253 on Firewall Arkoon.

We host a SaaS solution with a service provider and this one to authorize the different lan to connect to the solution (France agencies + UK agency)

On our Arkoon Firewall, we have authorized the different LANs that must have access to the LAN of the SaaS solution, 192.168.100.0/24.

This works very well for all the agencies in France, except for the UK LAN with 10.0.151.0/24 addressing.

When i do tracert cmd from a computer brand's LAN 10.0.151.109, I can ping 10.0.78.253 and 10.0.78.254.

But, when I try ping or tracert with 192.168.100.20 it cannot found a route and it fails at first jump after 10.0.151.254.

Thank you in advance.

You can find on my screenshoot : Fortigate FW UK - static routes, ipv4 rules and topology network.

Regards,

1 Solution
Phil_Lofthouse

Hi David.

It looks like you will need an additional Phase 2 configuring on the Branch FortiGate, to allow 10.0.151.0/24 (local) to have a tunnel to 192.168.100.0/24 (remote), with the opposite configured on the HQ FortiGate.

Regards,

Phil

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
isamt
Contributor

Does the 192.168.100.0/24 network have a route back to the 10.0.151.0/24 network?

Routing is usually very simple. The source must have a route to the destination and the destination must have a route back to the source. Then in between policies that allow the traffic to pass. 

DavidC
New Contributor

Sorry for the late answer, yes the 192.168.100.0/24 network have a route back to 10.0.151.0/24 network.

For IPv4 rules, we have allowed all traffic on both sides, between source and destination.

isamt

You can confirm the routes are in place by running the following commands on Fortigate

"get router info routing-table all" - this will show the full routing table

Then you can check route used for say 192.168.100.0/24

"get router info routing-table details 192.168.100.0"

This will tell you where the fortigate is learning the route from and where it is sending the traffic to get to it.

If the above is all fine, then you will need to debug the traffic.

From an SSH session on the Fortigate enter

diagnose debug reset diagnose debug disable diagnose debug enable diagnose debug console timestamp enabled diagnose debug flow show fun en diagnose debug flow filter clear diagnose debug flow filter addr 192.168.100.x diagnose debug flow filter addr 10.0.151.x diagnose debug flow trace start 100

Run a ping between the hosts and check the debug output

When finished debugging make sure you run the following commands to turn off debug mode

diagnose debug reset diagnose debug disable

DavidC
New Contributor

Ok, thanks for all commands for fortigate CLI. I'll make the necessary arrangements and debug, I'll keep you posted.

Thank you,

Yurisk
Valued Contributor

What have you set as Proxy ID in Phase 2 configuration of VPN sites, specific networks or 0.0.0.0 ?

Yuri https://yurisk.info/  blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Yuri https://yurisk.info/ blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
DavidC
New Contributor

Yurisk wrote:

What have you set as Proxy ID in Phase 2 configuration of VPN sites, specific networks or 0.0.0.0 ?

In Phase 2, I have set Local Address Branch-to-HQ_local 10.0.151.0/24 and Branch-to-HQ_remote 10.0.78.0/24.

Thank you in advance, 

Regards.

Phil_Lofthouse

Hi David.

It looks like you will need an additional Phase 2 configuring on the Branch FortiGate, to allow 10.0.151.0/24 (local) to have a tunnel to 192.168.100.0/24 (remote), with the opposite configured on the HQ FortiGate.

Regards,

Phil

forthright

Can you post a simple diagram of your topology? I was having a similar issue and I may be able to help, but I need to see what your topology looks like. From your description, I think I am missing a piece of the topology.

A diagram would be helpful.

forthright

I believe Phil is correct. This is exactly what I had to do. I was also going to suggest this, however I wanted to see a diagram of your topology first.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors