Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
toku
New Contributor II

Routing issue on Fortigate setup.

Hello!

I'm new to FortiGate and experienced a roadblock during my setup.

I was trying to reach the VM from the public IP(my PC), but there was no response from the VM. Attached are the diagram and packet capture results from FortiGate.

diagram.JPG

Note:

1. The default route is going to an ASR router, but I want all incoming and outgoing traffic to go via the same specific interface on the firewall. (highlighted orange)

2. Static route cannot be used because the source IP can be anything.

3. Tried the policy route, but it didn't work :(

Kindly advise what could be the root cause.
If you need additional information, feel free to let me know!
Appreciate the comments!

1 Solution
toku
New Contributor II

8 REPLIES 8
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

Can you enable Source NAT on the policy towards VM and test?

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

toku
New Contributor II

While i was doing trace, i found the following error:
id=20085 trace_id=19 func=ip_route_input_slow line=2264 msg="reverse path check fail, drop
Any idea what this means?
Thanks!
gfleming

This means the FortiGate is dropping the packet because the Source IP for the packet is not in a subnet that it has a route to on the interface it is coming in on.

In other words, if the packet has a source IP of 10.0.0.1 and it's coming in on the interface 'lan', the FortiGate will not forward it if it does not have a route to 10.0.0.0/24 via the 'lan' interface. This is reverse path forwarding and is a method of preventing IP spoofing.

Since you only pasted a snippet of the trace we do not know the whole story so it's hard to say. But chances are you have no route pointing Provider A for your PC's public IP address.

Cheers,
Graham
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

If you're coming from the internet, unless you advertise the public subnet where the VM sits in only through Provider A side toward the internet, instead of advertising via the default internet provider, your access to the VM's public IP always comes from the default internet provider (right side in your diagram). Never comes via Provider A unlike your inbound orange arrow.

The returning direction will follow the reverse direction of the inbound/original direction based on the session. You won't be able to change that.

Toshi

toku
New Contributor II

I guess you're talking about this?

While i was doing trace, i found the following error:
id=20085 trace_id=19 func=ip_route_input_slow line=2264 msg="reverse path check fail, drop

No alternative solution?
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Which provider, the default internet provider or Provider A, provides the public IP the VM has? Or do you own the public subnet the VM is in?

If it's from the default internet provider, you have no control for the incoming path but always come through the provider.

You can see it when you traceroute from outside to the VM's public IP.

Only if you own the subnet VM is in, you can advertise the subnet with BGP through either or both of the default internet provider and Provider A to control the inbound path.

Toshi

seshuganesh

Reverse path check means, firewall is expecting that source IP to come from one interface but the packet is coming from different interface.

For example, execute this command:

get router info routing-table details <source-ip>

You will get to know from which interface firewall is expecting to come traffic from for this source IP.

If there is no route for the interface on which traffic is coming, create one static route for that source IP towards that interface on which traffic is coming

toku
New Contributor II

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors