Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ricky_andre_76
New Contributor II

Route-map statements order change

Hi all,

couldn't find any information about the change of the order of the rules inside a route-map. 

I know that for firewall rules or sdwan rules, you have unique identifiers forevery logic, and you can move them up or down through the GUI or via CLI ('move x before|after y'). But can I do something similar with route-maps ?

For example suppose I have the following:

config router route-map
edit "RM_EXAMPLE"
 config rule
  edit 10
   set match-community "CL_32:3"
  next
  edit 100
  next
  edit 5
   set action deny
   set match-ip-address "PL_DENY_PREFIX"
  next
end
next

Something not nice: in this case the identifier of the rule is important, and is related to the order the rules are executed. So even though '5' appears after '100', it is processed first. Suppose now I have rules '1' and '2', and I want to insert something in between. Is there any simple way to do it ? in Cisco there is a 'resequence' command that takes the list of rules, for example 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and changes them to 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80 so that you can now insert things in the middle of the rules.

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I tested it but looks like only way to change the order in the route-map is to delete the all existing "edit"s below the place you want to insert a new one, then re-paste the deleted ones in the exact order you wanted them to be.
There seem to be no other way around.

By the way, with your example "edit 5" does nothing since "edit 100" is allowing everything before it.

Toshi

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I tested it but looks like only way to change the order in the route-map is to delete the all existing "edit"s below the place you want to insert a new one, then re-paste the deleted ones in the exact order you wanted them to be.
There seem to be no other way around.

By the way, with your example "edit 5" does nothing since "edit 100" is allowing everything before it.

Toshi

ricky_andre_76
New Contributor II

Thanks Toshi for your reply, so the answer is that we need to copy and paste and resequence manually.

Regarding your last sentence:

"By the way, with your example "edit 5" does nothing since "edit 100" is allowing everything before it."

... despite of what happens with sdwan or firewall rules, for route-maps the identifiers are numbers but they work in a different way. When you create them, they are showed in the order of creation, but they are processed in ascending order. This is somewhat confusing in my opinion, but it works in this way. And it really should, since you can't 'move' items before of after others. Check it out !

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors