Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kellua
New Contributor

Restrict unlicensed vpn versions connecting via VPN

We're utilizing FortiClient EMS and aiming to set up a host check to prevent unlicensed VPN versions from connecting via VPN.

To achieve this, we're considering using the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment (USERDOMAIN).

This method might not be the most reliable in identifying specifically those users employing the free version of FortiClient.

While this registry key can restrict access based on the domain, it doesn't guarantee conclusively that users are using the free version of FortiClient.

Which registry key should I use to configure the host check to authorize only users with FortiClient EMS and not the free FortiClient?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @Kellua ,

I found a key in the registry related to FortiClient connection status with EMS.

This key is in this path
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fortinet\FortiClient\FA_ESNAC"

If "status" key equal to "1" this means FortiClient is not registered to EMS.
If "status" key equal to "2" this means FortiClient is registered to EMS.

I think you can use this key.

Also, I think the best way for your request ZTNA Tag. You can use ZTNA Tag on your firewall policy. Even if someone connects to VPN with an unlicensed FortiClient, can't access your internal resources.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors