Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gfloyd
New Contributor

ReportD and Conserve Mode

Good Morning, There have been several occasions that I' ve had remote sites report that internet access and their access thru VPN tunnels to applications at the central core site are running slow. The good old Conserve Mode at work - on multiple FGT model types, firmware versions and configurations. The current instance for the firmware is v5.02 on a FGT-80CM and a fairly vanilla configuration. diag sys top generally shows that ReportD was using a large chunk of memory. The instance this morning showed ReportD memory at 70.4% Anyone that has worked with Fortinets for any length of time knows that memory usage above 80% will cause unfavorable results and system performance. The problem is generally corrected by killing the process diag sys kill 11 xxx - process ID. Since these are remote medical sites, the need to get these sites functioning is the main concern, debugging is generally not an option. I have searched the Fortinet site, Knowledge Base, forums, Internet and cannot find any mention of ReportD daemon anywhere. This is not a single event as I have experienced issues with the ReportD daemon several times. Does anyone have any info on ReportD? I would be interested and appreciative of any knowledge about it. As standard practice, I try not to enable disk logging unless troubleshooting to avoid going into conserve mode due to Disk space maximum reached. Regards, Greg ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FCNSA -- FGT200B cluster /FGT224B cluster/FGT100D/FGT80CM/Many #' s of FWF80C/FGT60C-FWF60C/FGT60B/FGT50B - FWF50B etc..... [right][/right]
G Floyd WAN Engineer Athens Regional Medical Center
G Floyd WAN Engineer Athens Regional Medical Center
2 REPLIES 2
Michael_Van_Elslande
New Contributor

Greg did you ever get this resolved?

We just purchased new hardware but the crash on the reportd is eating up our logging.  This is on the 80D platform.

We have 80CM's that allegedly could run version 5.2.2 however we quickly found like you are that you're sitting on the edge of conserve mode.  Typically this is only for 80CM's with 500Mb of ram, we've had no issues with the 80CM's running a gig of RAM. The kicker is when we had them in to consult if they said the 80cm's wouldn't work, we would have replaced them...now we just have to make things work!

We ended up implementing all of their recommendations for conserve mode devices.  I see that this issue is pretty old, but if you're still dealing with it reach out to me. 

gschmitt

Michael Van Elslander wrote:

We have 80CM's that allegedly could run version 5.2.2 however we quickly found like you are that you're sitting on the edge of conserve mode.

In my experience all 80C models with firmware 5.2 are on the edge to conserve mode :\

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors