Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
if2shiro
New Contributor

Question about forwarding FortiSASE syslog

I would like to forward FortiSASE's syslog to an external syslog server.Currently, Fortigate with SPA license is connected to FortiSASE via VPN, but we would like to make a new VPN connection between FortiSASE and the network where the syslog server is located and forward FortiSASE syslogs.

With Fortigate, it is possible to forward syslogs by making a VPN connection to the network where the syslog server is located, but is it possible to do the same with FortiSASE?
If it is possible, does the device connecting the VPN have to be a Fortigate, or if it has to be a Fortigate, does it require an SPA license there as well?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Vbharath_FTNT

You can try the following:
VPN tunnel between your Hub and the remote site where the syslog is located and send the logs from FortiSASE (SPA tunnel) >> Hub (VPN Tunnel) >>  Remote Syslog server.

Adrian-FTNT
Staff
Staff

I don't believe that this is currently possible as the logs do not come from the FortiOS instances themselves, but from the FortiAnalyzer in the Analytics PoP. The FAZ does not use the customer's FOS instances to forward traffic so it therefore cannot use the SPA connectivity for the log forwarding.

Vbharath_FTNT

Adrian is correct, I did verify this internally and currently Syslog forwarding to an external server is only supported to a public IP which means the syslog should be reachable via a Virtual IP behind a Fortigate or another Firewall.

If you choose to forward syslog to a public IP over Internet, it is highly recommended to enable reliable connection (TCP) and Secure Connection (TLS). In this case, the server must support syslog over TCP and TLS.

Forwarding syslog to a server via SPA link is currently planned to be implemented in a future release.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors