Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mike74
New Contributor II

Problems with Virtual Clustering, SNMP and reserved management Interfaces

Hello All,

Maybe a stupid question but Im working on a design Problem with HA, VDOM's and SNMP under FortiOS 5.4.6.

According to the examples in the "FortiOS Handbook - Virtual Domains" I tried to set up a multi vdom scenario with the root vdom facing to the internet and two departmental vdoms. The root vdom are also holds the management vdom.

The two fortigates are forming an active-active cluster and all vdoms are on the same virtual cluster. Each of the two nodes have a reserved management interface with an IP (Node A - 192.168.0.1/24, Node B -192.168.0.2/24) but the Management Traffic, especially SNMP, should go via a clustered interface (192.168.0.10/24).

The Node reserved management Interfaces are by design in the Global VDOM and the clustered management interface are in the root vdom. Because all of the three are on the same IP Subnet (The Management Subnet) I simply cant assign the clustered Interface the choosen IP Address. Tried to enable allow-subnet-overlap but no luck, the option seems not exist in the Global Domain in the system settings section.

How can I manage the dedicated Clusternodes and the Virtual Cluster from one Managementstation without having different IP Subnets?

Moving the Management Domain to another VDOM seems to be not a valid Option because I'm loosing the possibility to use radius for user authentication then.

Thanks ind Advance, Michael

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

And, I don't understand why "I'm loosing the possibility to use radius for user authentication" if you move your management vdom. It just need to have a route/path to get to your RADIUS servers. That's what we do with all of our clusters with multi-vdom setup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

1st

No such vdom  global  exist  in a fortigate. In fact you CAN NOT EVEN  create a vdom name Global/global in a fortigate

2nd if you want to  use dedicate-management  interfaces  define the interfaces as dedicate and set the ha-gateway  details in the fortigate

e.g v5.6.x

config  sys ha

set mode a-p

set group-name myclusterblah

set ha-mgmt-status enable

config ha-mgmt-interface

edit  1

set interface mgmt ( insert the name of the interface to us )

set  gateway  x.x.x.x

set dst 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

end

earlier version where similar,  but  in 5.6 is a sublevel cfg

config sys ha

set ha-mgmt-status enable

set ha-mgmt-interface mgmt

set ha-mgmt-interface-gateway x.x.x.x

end

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

And, I don't understand why "I'm loosing the possibility to use radius for user authentication" if you move your management vdom. It just need to have a route/path to get to your RADIUS servers. That's what we do with all of our clusters with multi-vdom setup.

mike74
New Contributor II

Hi Toshi,

This refers to pg. 27 in the Virtual Domain in FortiOS 5.4.4. Handbook - "You cannot change the management VDOM if any administrators are using RADIUS authentication". From my perspective my users are administrators who log in on the device.

mike74
New Contributor II

Hi All,

Thanks for the fast responses but the Core of the problem is that I'm simple cannot assign the clustered Management Interface an IP-Address in the same Subnet where the reserved management interfaces are in. Im getting "Conflicts with 'mgmt1' subnet" which refers to the reserved management interfaces.

The "allow-subnet-overlap" setting seems not to be possible in the "Global Context" and should also not be necessary.

Im referring to the example on pg. 180 in the "High Availability for FortiOS 5.4.1" Handbook which is pretty much the configuration I like to achieve. The only difference is that the example is not using vdoms.

Maybe im giving too much missleading information in my first post.

Thanks vor your patience and Help,

Michael

acuity
New Contributor

Hello Mike,

I faced the same issue on a A-P Cluster running 5.4.6.

Via CLI you should be able to configure the cluster interface, on my cluster this worked although the webui showed an error.

Did you consider to use "set ha-direct enable" under "config system ha"?

Best regards

jhouvenaghel_FTNT

Hello,

Using CLI , it should work. There is a current investigation to know why the GUI complain while it works with CLI

Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors