Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
amigliora
New Contributor

Port Forwarding using a Dynamic Public IP

Hi All,

I am new with FortiGate and beside I am feeling great with the decision, I am still facing some challenges due to lack of knowledge :(

I have my home office with a brand new Fortigate in version 6.2.3

I do not have a public static IP so I am using a dynamic DNS service provided by my domain name registrant.

I need to expose a web server, and I did it using the VIP and it works, however I found out I am not able to change the IP address to a Name Address or a FQDN so I can get always service in case of the IP changes on the ISP side.

Anyone can help me to find a solution?

Thanks in advance and I hope I placed all the info needed

4 REPLIES 4
sw2090
Honored Contributor

if your fortigate is behind a router and itself does due to this not get notified when your external ip changes

you can have your Fortigate update your dydns regularly. THe option just for some reason is not available in web frontend. You have to set it on cli:

config system ddns

edit <numberofyourddnsconfig>

set update-interval <seconds>

end

end

maybe this helps

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
amigliora

Thank you very much sw2090 for your answer.

Unfortunately, I don't know how this will helping me with the VIPs

As far as I know, the VIP requires an IPv4 address which I have to place and I couldn't find a way to make a reference to FQDN or a DNS entry or a Name Address.

I had to place xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx didn't find any other option

My FG is behind a Cable Modem 1GBps ->FGT->LAN

I have the Dyn DNS updated with no issues, I just don't know how to refer this FDQN which the single static piece into my VIP to get the port forwarding :(

amigliora

Hi All,

I found my answer in this post. https://forum.fortinet.co...m=138081&tree=true

Basically I did the same mistake, I placed an IP in the VIP extarl IP field, instead of 0.0.0.0

Now, it doesn't matter what IP I did get assigned from my ISP and the Dyn DNS is doing the rest to ref my FDQN to the assigned IP

Hope this help to someone else.

Thanks

Virgule59
New Contributor

Hi amigloria,

Just find this cookbook on forti, seems possible

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.0/cookbook/685361/ddns

Regards

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors