Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
flipmstr2
New Contributor II

Port 8013 trying to talk to gateway

I currently have a Watchguard firewall.

I see that My Computer is trying to reach out to the firewall on port 8013

I am frunning the Forticlient V 6.0.4.0182 to VPN into a handful of my customers.

One customer requires we keep it running constantly to connect to their network.

As such I see the client reaching out to the gateway on port 8013, which gets denied by my firewall.

Why is the client trying to do this?

2 Solutions
aahmadzada
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Port 8013 is used by Forticlient to Connect to the Security Fabric:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.0.0/hardening-your-fortigate/529217/fortios-ports-and...

Looks like your Forticlient tries to the Security Fabric. 

Ahmad

Ahmad

View solution in original post

Debbie_FTNT

Hey flipmstr2,

FortiClient is checking if the gateway is a FortiGate, and if yes, it would try to connect to report some information (if FortiGate expects/allows this), so FortiGate would offer greater visibility of connected endpoints.

I'm not sure if this behaviour can be disabled, sorry.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
aahmadzada
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Port 8013 is used by Forticlient to Connect to the Security Fabric:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.0.0/hardening-your-fortigate/529217/fortios-ports-and...

Looks like your Forticlient tries to the Security Fabric. 

Ahmad

Ahmad
flipmstr2

Thank you, but why is is appearing to try to talk to the gateway not just get some externally sourced information. Is it assuming the firewall is a Fortinet? and if so, would it then open a bit of communication with it?

Debbie_FTNT

Hey flipmstr2,

FortiClient is checking if the gateway is a FortiGate, and if yes, it would try to connect to report some information (if FortiGate expects/allows this), so FortiGate would offer greater visibility of connected endpoints.

I'm not sure if this behaviour can be disabled, sorry.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
flipmstr2

No Worries, Thanks for the confirmation. always wonder when you see something hammering your Firewall. I simply allowed that connection as it was bugging me seeing all of those Denies!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors