Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Bilious72
New Contributor

New to this and need help with LAN communication

We just purchased a Fortigate FG-40F. I have done the initial set up and only have a single test server with 3 HyperV instances and one workstation connected.  Everyhting is getting a DHCP address from the firewall and can communicate with the internet gateway. However, I can't get anything on the LAN to communicate with each other. None of the HyperV instances see each other or can ping each other, and I need all LAN workstations to be able to communicate. What setting do I need to change for this?

Thank you. 

2 Solutions
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Bilious72,

Are those HyperV instances in the same or different network? Is there a switch in between? 

If you can't ping, please make sure Windows firewall is not blocking ping. 

Regards, 

View solution in original post

hbac

@Bilious72,

I would not recommend that. You can turn it on and create a rule to allow ping. 

Regards, 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Bilious72,

Are those HyperV instances in the same or different network? Is there a switch in between? 

If you can't ping, please make sure Windows firewall is not blocking ping. 

Regards, 

Bilious72
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply. They are all on the same network. The native instance is 192.168.1.111
and I have a HyperV instance on .112 .113 and .114. 

If I turn off the Windows firewall, everything can communicate perfectly. Is it ok to leave that turned off and rely on the Fortigate for all firewall functionality?

hbac

@Bilious72,

I would not recommend that. You can turn it on and create a rule to allow ping. 

Regards, 

Bilious72
New Contributor

Great. Thank you for the help. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors