Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rubra
New Contributor

New fortigate deployment, latest release or mature firmware?

We just began the process of setting up 22 new fortigates to replace our old sonicwalls. The first one I have booted up is running 7.2.6 firmware. I have heard fortigate firmware can be buggy so would it make sense to go back to the latest mature release (7.0.13), stick with 7.2.6, or update to the latest, since they are all brand new devices.

omegle xender
3 REPLIES 3
adimailig
Staff
Staff

Hi @rubra 

May refer to below guide for Recommended Release of FortiOS
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Recommended-Release-for-FortiOS/ta-p/22717...

Best Regards,

Arnold Dimailig
TAC Engineer
DongHwan1
New Contributor

If possible, install it in 7.0.13, but if the version 7.2.6 or higher comes out later, I recommend you go to that version.
Bugs are often found in 7.2.5~6, so you may be confused during install of the equipment.
(It doesn't seem to be a big problem.)

Version 7.0 is stable, but EOS is in March, so I think it'll be a problem later.

Jakob-AHHG
Contributor II

Hi @rubra 
The newer version, the more bugfixes, but also potential new ones.. ;) 

If you manage them via FortiManager #(highly recommended with 22 units!), then start with the Support Matrix for Manager
https://docs.fortinet.com/ -> FortiManager -> Compatibility with FortiOS 

FortiManager can be the newest, as long as the ADOM you manage the FortiGates under, is the major release you run the FortiGates at. (FMG: 7.4.2, ADOM: 7.0, FG: 7.0.13)

If you run standalone FortiGates, they also have a support matrix on the Docs site:
Forti Docs, FortiGate

We are currently on 
FMG/FAZ: 7.4.2 (ADOM 7.0)
FortiGates: 7.0.12/7.0.13
FortiSwitch: 7.4.2 back to 7.2.1

Jakob Peterhänsel,
IT System Admin,
Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK
Jakob Peterhänsel,IT System Admin,Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors