Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tarjo
New Contributor

New Session Per Second

Hi All,

i have a little question to ask

i'm using fortigate 100D right now. based on this link https://www.fortinet.com/sites/default/files/productdatasheets/FortiGate-100D.pdf , New session/sec up to 22.000

if i'm facing a site that handling people coming together at some time up to 1 million or more. is it mean that all fortigate low-end,high-end, and most high-end product can not comply with my situasion ?

should i remove the firewall ?

or should i change with server based firewall (iptables or something else) ?

or my understanding about new session/sec was wrong ?

really appreciate if there's anyone helping me

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Is that 1million session per/sec? Bad news even most mid-range firewall can't handle that number. So are these a 1million total session or 1 million new sessions ( tcp  ) per/second?

I think you should work with a SSE on the proper sized appliance imho.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau

According to the Product Matrix (http://www.fortinet.com/sites/default/files/productdatasheets/Fortinet_Product_Matrix.pdf) there is no hardware from Fortinet that can establish 1 million sessions per second. The biggest irons will do 400.000 though.

First, you could handle all these sessions in 2.5 seconds on a 3100D, or in 45 seconds on your 100D. Some connections will have to wait then.

Now, we don't know what kind of session or service you are planning for. Assuming HTTP, a session buildup will (just an estimate) take 1KB (16 64-byte packets). This would mean 1000 million bytes/sec or 10 Gbps bandwidth on your WAN side. No problem to handle that for a Fortigate, even a mid-range model.

Without doing any lab tests I'd estimate that an all-purpose server with an OS like Unix, Linux or Windows will handle several order of magnitude less sessions per second as a dedicated (firewall) hardware. A software on your server will never get you into the vicinity of your goal.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
tarjo
New Contributor

halo ede_pfau,

yes it is HTTP session. but isn't in layer network/session that fortigate handling ?

isn't when one user establish TCP connection it will be count as 1 TCP session ? cmiiw

so that's why i'm asking silly question if there are 1 million user coming together on the same second. would that mean  we will be blocked by hardware limitation ?

so if firewall hardware capable up to 400.000 new session per second. what about the other 600.000 ?

going to queued/buffered for the next seconds or will be dropped ?

thanks for your help

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If it's  1million sessions & all at once, some will not be handle and would be dropped or not update in the session table.

You could look at the diag system session command for statistics 

e.g

diag sys session stat | grep rate

The setup_rate  would be a starting point. Keep in mind what ede posted earlier, each  tcp session ( SYN ) could be upto 40bytes or more. So 1mill x 40bytes would a lot traffic at one given time. A FGT100D is not the firewall that you need in this case.

Do you have access to a FTNT SSE

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau

I wholly agree with @emnoc. 1 million new sessions per second takes a tremendous effort. The top-notch FG-3700D with 400k sps costs about 150k US-$ (with 1 yr service), and you would need 2 for a cluster. Just to help you set the cost frame right, with a 100D at the moment. Quite an academic discussion if cost doesn't play a role.

One user connecting would not always mean one new session - think of loading a web page, with a number of embedded images. A click onto an average webpage can cost you a lot of new sessions, maybe even 30-40. Just watch the session table on your FGT, sessions for a single source IP address, and count them.

One million new users per second would be much, much harder to handle. I don't think you'd find a hardware firewall for this on the market today.

You can relax your requirements if you only think of handling single events where a lot of users connect, and not for a prolonged period. Session attempts would be dropped if the hardware couldn't handle it, and processed a couple of seconds later on second try. If that is acceptable is up to you.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

One user connecting would not always mean one new session - think of loading a web page, with a number of embedded images. A click onto an average webpage can cost you a lot of new sessions, maybe even 30-40. Just watch the session table on your FGT, sessions for a single source IP address, and count them.

A typical web page could spin off 10+ sessions.

100% correct and so easily missed

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
tarjo
New Contributor

hai emnoc,

it's a 1 million new session per second

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors