Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kjenaneta
New Contributor

My work uses FortiClient to allow us to work remotely. Can they monitor my activity?

We installed FortiClient to our personal computers. It’s something we turn on to connect to a database, and then turn off when we’re done.

Last night, I forgot to turn off FortiClient after doing some work, and spent a while watching random YouTube videos. Nothing too bad, it would just be embarrassing if someone from work was monitoring my private Internet usage.

Is it possible for my employer to monitor my private Internet usage while I’m connected to FortiClient?

VidMate
3 REPLIES 3
dbu
Staff
Staff

Hi @kjenaneta ,

Yes it is possible, your network activity will be visible. 

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
akanibek
Staff
Staff

Hi,

it depends on if the Split tunneling mode. If it is not enabled for your SSLVPN traffic, then all the traffic goes through your corporate firewall. However, most company enables it. Because it allows to not process unnecessary traffic from SSL-VPN clients. Go through the KB to get acquainted.
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Enabling-split-tunnel-feature-for-SSL-VPN/...

Asset
xDivour
New Contributor II

Just based off the topic I would assume your an end user that does not have access to the firewall to check for split tunneling. So yes it can be monitored if split tunneling is not enabled. Basically any and all traffic would go through your company firewall before it reaches you. You can however check by seeing what your IP is showing when you connect to the VPN. Check a public website for your IP info before getting on the VPN if it stays the same once you connect to the VPN you are good. If it changes IP then your traffic is going through your company firewall and you can be monitored

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors