Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Sikuliaq
New Contributor

Migrate dnsmasq DNS Database from old Linux server into FortiGate

I have an aging Linux box (Debian 7) that is currently hosting our DNS via dnsmasq.

I want to spin up our new FortiGate as the DNS server so I can retire this old box.

However, I can't seem to find any articles on how one might migrate an existing DNS database into the fortigate.

Any tips on how one might do that?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Sikuliaq,

I don't think it is possible to migrate the database to FortiGate. However, it is possible to config zone transfer on the FortiGate. But I'm not sure if it'll work with Linux. Here is an example using Windows server: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-DNS-database-with-FortiGate-as-a-slave-to-...

Regards, 

sw2090
SuperUser
SuperUser

There was a similar question in support forum about migrating dhcp reservations.

I'd say its rather the same here:

you will in some way have to convert your dnsmasq database into FGT Cli script to import it...

Also maybe hbac's link is annother solution. Thus that would require to turn the FGT into a DNS master afterwards to get rid of the dnsmasq. 

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors