Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mancunian
New Contributor

Manually switch between Active & Standby in HA pair

Hi I have searched the pdf' s to try and find a CLI or GUI command to force the Standby unit to be the Active one in an HA pair (or vice versa) Maybe its the search string I am using but haven' t been able to find anything with the definition I require. The cisco equivalent command is " failover active" if that helps Cheers
4 REPLIES 4
Jan_Scholten
Contributor

it depends on the prioritys (and a couple of other things). try to change the priority higher the the other machine (default is afaik 128) to make the other unit master.. if renegotiation does not happen you can try to config system ha override (but please take care that you read the part in the manuals at docs.fortinet.com that talks about possible configuration change lost with override enable..) I don' t know whether there is a specific command to change roles.
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

When I was in A-A mode, I just logged into the primary unit and changed the priority. Have yet to do that in A-P mode.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Mancunian
New Contributor

Thanks Jan & Bob I had seen the override option but it talked about making the unit leave the cluster, my worry was that if leaving the cluster was similar to disconnecting the HA links then would I end up with a split brain scenario :( I will try and Lab it, I have already set the priorities differently my preferred primary is 200 and the standby is 100 so I' m unsure if a priority change would do anything. Thanks again, I will post the results :)
RH2
New Contributor II

current config active-passive active priority 130 passive priority 129 both have override enabled log into active log into slave from active set priority to 131 after you " end" the change it will flip roles. to switch back: log into new master and set priority to 129 exec ha manage <1 or 0> (get the correct number by doing a ' get sys ha status' ) this will take you into the slave CLI config sys ha set priority 131 end I do this when I want to reboot both devices, the only time I have lost a config is when the master had override enable and the slave did not. When I rebooted the master it took back over while in the middle of synching the config.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors