Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Moabdi
New Contributor

LDAP test user credential / invalid credential

Hi All,

I am new to FortiGate and i am doing a lab for LDAP I set up the LDAP server on the FG and the connection to the LDAP server is successful however, when I test a user credential on the LDAP it says invalid credential even though i am sure the credentials are correct. not sure where I can go from there? 

your help and guidance is much appreciated  

2 Solutions
amouawad
Staff
Staff

Most times I see this because of the incorrect Common Name Identifier. Try to use sAMAccountName for the Common Name Identifier in the LDAP server settings on the FortiGate.

View solution in original post

Faiza_Emam_Delhi
Contributor II

Hi,

If you are receiving an "invalid credential" error message when testing a user credential on the FortiGate LDAP server, there are a few things you can try:

1. Double-check the user credentials: Ensure that the username and password you are using to test the LDAP connection are correct. Make sure that there are no typos or errors in the username or password.

2. Verify LDAP server settings: Double-check the LDAP server settings on the FortiGate device, such as the server IP address, port number, and bind DN. Ensure that these settings match the LDAP server configuration.

3. Check LDAP server logs: Check the logs on the LDAP server to see if there are any error messages or authentication failures that may be causing the issue.

4. Test with a different user account: If you are still unable to authenticate with the LDAP server, try testing with a different user

Thanks & Regards,
Faizal Emam

View solution in original post

Thanks & Regards,Faizal Emam
4 REPLIES 4
Faiza_Emam_Delhi
Contributor II

Hello,

If you are receiving an "invalid credential" error when testing a user credential on the FortiGate LDAP server, there are several things you can check to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Verify the LDAP server settings: Make sure that the LDAP server settings on the FortiGate device are configured correctly. Check the server IP address, port number, and connection type. Also, make sure that the LDAP server is configured to allow connections from the FortiGate device.

2. Verify the user credentials: Double-check the user credentials to ensure that they are correct. Make sure that the username and password are spelled correctly and that there are no typos. You may also want to test the user credentials on the LDAP server directly to ensure that they are working.

3. Check the LDAP server logs: Check the logs on the LDAP server to see if there are any error messages or warnings related to the authentication process. Look for messages related to the user credentials, such as "invalid credentials" or "authentication failure."

4. Check the FortiGate logs: Check the logs on the FortiGate device to see if there are any error messages or warnings related to the LDAP authentication process. Look for messages related to the LDAP server settings, the user credentials, and the authentication process.

5. Verify the LDAP authentication settings: Ensure that the LDAP authentication settings on the FortiGate device are configured correctly. Check the authentication method, the LDAP server type, and the search scope. You may also want to test different authentication methods to see if they work.

If you're still having issues after checking these settings, you may need to provide more information about the network topology and the configuration settings on both the FortiGate and the LDAP server to help diagnose the issue.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards,
Faizal Emam
amouawad
Staff
Staff

Most times I see this because of the incorrect Common Name Identifier. Try to use sAMAccountName for the Common Name Identifier in the LDAP server settings on the FortiGate.

Faiza_Emam_Delhi
Contributor II

Hi,

If you are receiving an "invalid credential" error message when testing a user credential on the FortiGate LDAP server, there are a few things you can try:

1. Double-check the user credentials: Ensure that the username and password you are using to test the LDAP connection are correct. Make sure that there are no typos or errors in the username or password.

2. Verify LDAP server settings: Double-check the LDAP server settings on the FortiGate device, such as the server IP address, port number, and bind DN. Ensure that these settings match the LDAP server configuration.

3. Check LDAP server logs: Check the logs on the LDAP server to see if there are any error messages or authentication failures that may be causing the issue.

4. Test with a different user account: If you are still unable to authenticate with the LDAP server, try testing with a different user

Thanks & Regards,
Faizal Emam
Moabdi
New Contributor

The issue is resolved, when i created a user on the AD i had to uncheck the field change "password at first logon" and also change the Common Name Identifier as sAMAccountName

thank you both for your help and guidance.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors