Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Pierre_SAUCOURT
New Contributor

Is it possible to assign a VLAN tag to a Software Switch?

I' m facing with a complex configuration mixing LAN and Wireless network which have to be merged with Software Switches. As I have not a lot of network interfaces on the Fortinet, I would like to configure 802.1Q VLAN on the Software Switches resultant interfaces. Is it possible or not ? Someone has already done this ? Thanks in advance for your answers.
3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hello, and welcome to the forums. You cannot assign a VLAN ID to a switch interface, same as you cannot assign a VLAN ID to a physical interface. But you can create VLAN interfaces on a switch interface. These are the commands in CLI:
 conf sys switch
 edit ' myLAN'              # to create a soft-switch interface; type == ' switch' 
 set vdom root
 end
 conf sys interface
 edit ' myLAN'              # to configure the physical port properties if needed
 set ip x.x.x.x/yy
 next
 edit ' myLAN_VLAN33'       # create a VLAN interface on a switch-port
 set interface ' myLAN'     # needed
 set vlanid 33            # needed
 set ip 192.168.33.1/24   # needed
 set vdom root            # needed
But can your WLAN handle the VLAN tags?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Pierre_SAUCOURT
New Contributor

Thank You, Ede for your reply. Did you try this configuration on a Soft Switch? Is it working? Many thanks. Pierre
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

yes and no. I' ve configured a soft switch consisting of one physical port only as I didn' t want to rip up my config too much. I could create a VLAN interface on that with no problems. But that should be easy for you to set up and test.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors