Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Netscape
New Contributor

Internet Connection not working

Hi, I need help to configure my FortiGate 80C. We got an Internet Connection with static ip´s. The Router from our ISP got the ip 80.80.80.89. When I connect the Router to the WAN1 Port I can´t establish an internet connection. In the Firewall policy for test reasons i got one rule allowing all. But it´s not working. In the Routing section i got an rule with 0.0.0.0 and 80.80.80.89 as gateway. Where´s my fault?
6 REPLIES 6
Fullmoon
Contributor III

When I faced this kind of problem, basic testing I made on my part. Connect my laptop directly to my ISP connection define the ff settings (IP ADD,SM,DGW and DNS from ISP) if you confirmed that your laptop able to browse internet then we could conclude that misconfiguration was made on fgt side. Assuming you define your internet via WAN1 interface On FGT 80C define the ff: Under Network=>Interface edit WAN1 and define the ff IP/Netmask=80.80.80.X/subnet mask Router=>Static Route dest IP/mask=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 device=WAN1 Gateway=80.80.80.89 Leave the Distance and Priority by default Under Network=>Options Define your DNS Server for Primary and Secondary Once your done go to System Status and look for CLI console and click it. you can test by simply by typing this commands execute ping 80.80.80.89 or execute ping yahoo.com if theres any reply from any sites you' ve pinged then create a policy (internal-wan1) that allows your internal network gets thru the internet.Dont forget to enable the NAT option in your Policy.

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
Netscape
New Contributor

Hi, I can confirm, that the internet connection is working. We´re only changing the firewall appliance. I got all settings as you said, but it´s not working. I tested the PING in the CLI, but it´s not working. I tested with DNS Name and IP. DNS is unable to resolve and ping got 100% packet loss. DNS server is the one from our ISP. And in the Central Nat table I got one policy that makes NAT from Internal to an free static ip. And in the firewall policy i got only one rule enabled which allows all and makes Nat with the central nat table.
Fullmoon

much better if you could post your settings for IP settings,Routing,DNS and FW Policy or call your local disti for additional hardware checkup

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
cmberry
New Contributor

DNS server is the one from our ISP
Try somewhere else, like google: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
claumakurumure
New Contributor III

If you are changing firewall appliances chances are you are using same IP address but introducing diffrent MAC address so need to clear arp cache or retart switch
hezvo uko
hezvo uko
Netscape
New Contributor

Thanks for help. I got it now. Was a simple fault with the ip/netmask.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors