Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tbar1704
New Contributor II

InterVlan Routing - Not all VLAN Interfaces are on the Fortigate

I created my first VLAN Interface on the Fortigate, under the LAN port that goes to our core switch. The LAN port to the HP Switch is a Trunk port and the new VLAN is permitted on the trunk port.

For now all the other VLAN interfaces are on the Layer 3 Core Switch

I cant ping the new VLAN's interface from the Core switch directly or by one of the resources I have on the new VLAN connected to the Core switch

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi

You should ask the HPE community why it's not working.

Creating a L3 interface wouldn't change the fact L2 is not passing through. Also it would break your design to set the FGT as a GW for VLAN 210. Because now the core switch knows the IPs in VLAN 210 exist within the switch. If other subnets/VLANs send packet toward VLAN 210, it's not going to bother sending them to the FGT but just directly sends to the destination devices.

Toshi

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Toshi_Esumi

No. You now can't ping within 10.1.210.0/24 subnet. Nothing to do with routing. Just L2 connectivity between the trunk port and access ports.

tbar1704

Create a new VLAN Interfaces on the Core switch for VLAN 210?

Toshi_Esumi

You should ask the HPE community why it's not working.

Creating a L3 interface wouldn't change the fact L2 is not passing through. Also it would break your design to set the FGT as a GW for VLAN 210. Because now the core switch knows the IPs in VLAN 210 exist within the switch. If other subnets/VLANs send packet toward VLAN 210, it's not going to bother sending them to the FGT but just directly sends to the destination devices.

Toshi

hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @tbar1704,

Can you provide a network topology? You can run the debug flow to see if the traffic is being dropped: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Troubleshooting-Tip-First-steps-to-troubleshoot-connecti...

Regards, 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors