Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BusinessUser
Contributor

If I factory reset a firewall

I know I will lose the config.

But will it lose the firmware in which it was recently upgraded?

1 Solution
Dan_Eng52
Contributor

Hi there, 

Take a look at this post within the knowledge base:

Technical Tip: How to reset a FortiGate with the d... - Fortinet Community

To answer your question, it will clear all changes made to the FortiGate configuration and resets the system to its original configuration with the default factory settings. It does not change the firmware version or the antivirus or IPS attack definitions.

Regards, 

Dan. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dan_Eng52
Contributor

Hi there, 

Take a look at this post within the knowledge base:

Technical Tip: How to reset a FortiGate with the d... - Fortinet Community

To answer your question, it will clear all changes made to the FortiGate configuration and resets the system to its original configuration with the default factory settings. It does not change the firmware version or the antivirus or IPS attack definitions.

Regards, 

Dan. 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

no you will not lose the firmware. 

Exec factory reset (or pressing the reset button if one exists) just will delete your config und put the device back to factory config.

The only way to lose the firmware is to use a serial console to enter the bootloader menu during bootup and have your boot device formatted. 

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors