Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Flamba
New Contributor

I'm new! someone help me with my Fortigate 100D

Hello everyone, I'm a newcomer. I come from a sonicwall tz205! I'd need some tips for setting up a new fortigate 100d... :)

I will explain briefly the situation. I always had a very simple network. Now at work I have created a new network for voip phones.

At the moment so I have two physical networks. 

1 for PC in 192.168.1.0/24 

2 for voip phone 192.168.3.0/24

I had the interfaces on sonicwall x0 x1 x2 ... on the new fortigate 100d I do not have that kind of division.

I currently have 16 port switch hardware dedicated to the "LAN" with the address 192.168.1.0/24. How can I bind a port for the VoIP network? I neet to create a new interface ? zone ? vlan ? 

The other thing that I must say is that I wish the two networks were able to communicate.

I did several tests but I can not do a ping from one network to another.

Thank you all!

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

and welcome to the forums.

First, you can split up the LAN switch into single ports, or a smaller switch and some single ports. Besides, you could use any port for the VoIP LAN - the names are just labels, there are no restrictions on what you can do with it.

Generally, traffic will only pass from one port to another if there is a policy for that. Without policy, no interconnect. That should be pretty common to any kind of firewall but just in case...

Usually, you put your phones on a VLAN of it's own but running over the same cables in the office. You can create a VLAN interface on the LAN port to get both kinds of traffic into the FGT. Again, no traffic between VLANx and LAN if there is no policy for that.

I definitely recommend reading up on how a FGT works in the 'FortiOS Handbook' on docs.fortinet.com. There are introductory chapters on the concepts of firewalling, VLANs, VPN, WiFi etc. etc. We cannot teach you the basics here on the forums; if you have specific questions, need pointers or need debugging, fellow users on the forums can help you.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

and welcome to the forums.

First, you can split up the LAN switch into single ports, or a smaller switch and some single ports. Besides, you could use any port for the VoIP LAN - the names are just labels, there are no restrictions on what you can do with it.

Generally, traffic will only pass from one port to another if there is a policy for that. Without policy, no interconnect. That should be pretty common to any kind of firewall but just in case...

Usually, you put your phones on a VLAN of it's own but running over the same cables in the office. You can create a VLAN interface on the LAN port to get both kinds of traffic into the FGT. Again, no traffic between VLANx and LAN if there is no policy for that.

I definitely recommend reading up on how a FGT works in the 'FortiOS Handbook' on docs.fortinet.com. There are introductory chapters on the concepts of firewalling, VLANs, VPN, WiFi etc. etc. We cannot teach you the basics here on the forums; if you have specific questions, need pointers or need debugging, fellow users on the forums can help you.

Ede

Flamba

ede_pfau thanks a lot for the answer.
I was able to do what I wanted. :)
I really love this firewall.

I continue the test!

ede_pfau

You're welcome. And I see you already tried out some formatting switches for posting...have fun!

Ede

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors